Help for Intermediate New to Cathe

karen19

I am looking for suggestions as to which DVDs to purchase-- for both aerobics and strength training. I am an intermediate-level exerciser with some experience in weight training who has never tried any of Cathe's workouts. I enjoy aerobic tapes such as Kari Anderson's Sweat Express (floor) and Two the Max (step & floor). While I like complex choreography, it takes me a while to catch on. The main tape I have used for strength training so far is Firm Cardio, where I have been using 10 & 12 lb. dumbbells. I notice many of Cathe's strength tapes require a barbell-- I haven't got the first idea of how to purchase one or what I would need. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:)

Hi Karen, yes it is true. Cathe uses dumbbells and a barbell too. I don't have a barbell and I do her workouts using a pair of dumbbells changing the weights. If you want a great endurance workout buy muscule endurance or Power Hour. If you want variety you can buy the ctx series. In the dvd version there is a fantastic upper body split with all the weight exercises in the CTX workouts together and a abs split with the abs of the ctx workouts. You will find weight training, hi/low, step, kickboxing, a lower body workout (learner legs). If you want strength training the Pyramids or the new gym style workouts are great options.

The body blast series are great too.

If you want circuit workouts you can get bootcamp or the new HSC. You can not go wrong with Cathe.Hope this helps.

Mariángeles a spanish terminator junkie. :)

Mariangeles--

Thanks for these great suggestions! I wasn't familar at all with CTX, it sounds like a great option. I am curious-- How do you use the Pyramids without a barbell? The idea of getting one is a little scary:eek:

-Karen

I am pretty new to Cathe as well. I don't have a barbell yet. I just use my dumbbells. I just modify to use them. For example, I put them on my shoulders like I did in Firm videos for legwork.
I am also an Intermediate-level exerciser and started with the Intensity series. I just got the Hardcore series this week. I'm very happy with both and would reccomend either of them. You might want to start with the Intensity series. There are 6 workouts in that series and they give a nice mix of aerobics and stregth training. Like I said, I started with those and was very happy, I just got hooked and wanted more.:)
Kim

Karen,
I've been working out with Cathe since July and started with the Intensity Series/Body Blast stuff on Fittv, but soon decided I couldn't stand not having the whole workout, so started buying (more than I should of course:* ) Any of these would be a great intro., although I'm also extremely happy with all of the new Hardcores, see still buying. I love the Step, Jump, and Pump/Step Blast DVD as it is versatile for cardio, weights, and FUN! But I second Muscle Endurance/Bootcamp DVD for fun and challenge. Luckily, my husband had a barbell set from his teen years that his mother still had in the basement, so I didn't have to buy one. But I've seen a lot of great sets at secondhand places, Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc. I know that Walmart sells a few different sets about $20-$30. It isn't necessary, but otherwise you have to have quite a few dumbells around and I don't have the room (ah, the joys of apartment living:D )
I think you'll be happy with anything Cathe, but I'm biased!
Mattea

These were my faves as an intermediate-level exerciser. They all worked::)

strength training:
Pure Strength series
Pyramids
MIS

endurance training:
Power Hour
Muscle Endurance

aerobics:
workouts in the Cardio Hits DVD
IMAX 2

These were just a start. Of course, I had to get them ALL eventually.:)

You can strength train using just dumbbells. For Pyramids you can start with a pair of 8's, 10's, 12's and 15's. The thing is, after 15, you go directly to 20's. That's when you'll really need a barbell. I know Cathe likes the Troy Lite barbell set. You can get it from www.fitness1st.com. I got the bar for about $20 including s/h. The plates I got from Wal-Mart. It was cheaper that way. Hope this helps.

Pinky

Kim--

Thanks for your response! I know this is ancient history but I haven't been able to log on for several days. I guess I don't need the barbell yet-- I will use dumbbells like the FIrm (on my shoulders). I am glad to hear such great recommendations for the Intensity series. Thanks again!

-Karen

Mattea--

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my questions. After reading everyone's great suggestions I went and watched the clips for the Intensity Series and Body Blast series. Step Jump and Pump looks like a lot of fun! Anyway, based on my current fitness level (and fear-- some of this stuff looks pretty scary, LOL!) I decided to go with the Body Blast series. I ordered the 6 DVD set and also a high-step topper and can't wait to get started. I am going to wait a while to get a barbell but do plan to get one eventually.

Thanks again!

-karen

Pinky--

Thanks for the link to Fitness First. The Troy Lite set looks like just what I need, I have bookmarked and plan to get it in a couple of months, once I have adjusted to my new workouts.

-Karen

Karen,
Not a problem and you won't be sorry. You just have to jump in and get moving, it doesn't matter if you get it right, you will eventually and it will feel great. And then later you'll screw it up again! But something to work towards:+
Mattea

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.