Help Cathe , Please

Hi Cathe,
Congrats on your new videos. I can't wait to try them. I do have a question. When I try to do lunges, they hurt. I hate them. I also realize that what you hate most is what you need most. I would do them anyway, but, I feel a sharp pain in my knee. I make sure that I have correct form and posture. I still feel that sharp pain that almost takes me down to the floor. The pain is more than the "burn" of a good exercise. I know that I probably need to see a doctor, and I will. But in the meantime, have you ever heard of this happening to anyone else??? Thanks, Adrienne

Hi, Adrienne!
Not Cathe here (in case you haven't figured it out;-) ), but it looks like she might not be 'here' for the rest of the day.

In any case, you definitely need to see someone about the knee. It's impossible to diagnose something online, and everyone has different problems. A 'sharp pain' is nothing to play around with. Even if it's not serious, if you continue to try to work through it, it could become chronic or lead to injury.

It could be a tracking problem, or bad form (especially knees going too far forward or buckling in).

Until you see a doc, don't do lunges! YOu can try some rehab-type exercises (NOT in lieu of seeing a doctor, but to work on muscle tone until then) like 'quad sets,'which are done seated or lying on the floor, with one leg bent and the other straight. Flex the quad of the straight leg and lift it under control (about a 2-3 count) to about 45 degrees, hold for a beat, then slowly lower. You can also try it with the toes pointing out a bit, which hits a different area of the quad (that is often weak, and worked in rehab for knee tracking problems).

IF this hurts AT ALL, do not do it!

HTH (and make sure to set up a PT appointment soon!)

THANKS KATHRYN,
I KNOW THAT I SHOULD SEE A DOCTOR AND I WILL, I PROMISE. I KNOW THAT LUNGES AND SQUATS TOGETHER WORK MIRACLES FOR OVERALL LEG DEVELOPMENT. I WILL TRY THE EXERCISE THAT YOU SUGGESTED AND SEE HOW IT WORKS;)
THANKS AGAIN

HI Kathryn-I've read a lot of your posts and I really respect your opinions- do you know any good knee strengthening exercises-I'm not having a problem yet but I want to prevent anything from happening-especially to strengthen the sides of the "knee".thanks, deb

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.