Hedonists??? Tuesday 1/30

HipChick

Cathlete
Hi girls! We seem to be lapsing lately but I thought I'd go ahead & get it started anyway. So are we all too busy being healthy & fit to be hedonistic too? :p:7 I'm sure there's just not much to report right now, at least that's how it's been with me lately.

Gosh, it's cold here & that's affected some of our fun activities. We did get in the hot tub over the weekend & it's even more enjoyable when it's freezing outside! I've also been more flexible with my eating habits lately. For instance, I did really well yesterday until I got home & we decided to have a couple of beers, french onion soup, & leftover Italian. This morning, I did Imax 2 & that W/O always leaves me smiling & sweaty:p. Then I heard some great songs on the way to work & they kept the smile on my face. I'm eating clean again today but I'm thinking of using our leftover steak from Sunday for something & I'm not sure what. I don't want a salad. Any other suggestions?

I wanted to answer a question Robin posed over the weekend. I don't have much time to post but I always try to catch up when I get the chance. She asked what everyone did for a living & I'm a brick designer. That might sound strange but I design the special shaped brick features like sills, arches, treads, wall caps, & decorative trims. I bet most people don't even notice details like that, let alone think that there's actually a person who does it, but that's what I do & I truly enjoy it. So Robin is a microbiologist... wow, what does that involve? Sounds way over my head! And Christine, you're a sales rep for a computer firm? So does your company actually manufacture computers or do they sell packages? I bet you're very busy right now!

Well, I guess that's it for now. A future hedonistic activity I'm currently planning is a day off for my birthday in March. My DH will be out of town & this day will be just for me so I'll probably sleep in, do a long W/O that I usually don't have the time to do & maybe even tack on a nice yoga routine, play piano, read, maybe draw/paint, go shopping, or schedule a spa treatment. I just wish I could do something sooner but I guess I can make it through February since there is a special day right in the middle that my DH & I will enjoy!}( So do any of you have anything on the horizon?

Looking forward to hearing from everyone today!

Kel

Kel, a brick designer! Wow, I didn't know there was even such a thing. That's really cool. Is your work mostly drawing or do you actually make the bricks to see the finished product? I work in a hospital lab. We get various specimens from patients (blood, urine, wounds, throats etc etc) if the doctor wants to rule out a bacterial infection. We try to isolate, identify and determine what antibiotics will work on potential pathogens. I like my job a lot too. There is a lot of variety everyday and I get to use my brain. The hot tub in freezing weather sounds devine. It's been a long time since we've been in a hot tub. We had good friends with one, but they got rid of it a few years ago.

I've been too sick with a cold to be very hedonistic, but we had a chocolate celebration at work yesterday in memory of a coworker who died last year. There was a ton of chocolate treats and I ate way too much. Then I came home and made Pad Thai. We had a nice bottle of Gewurtz with that. I had to tease my DD's SO. I put shrimp and tofu in the Pad Thai and he didn't know about the tofu. He's kind of a "manly-man" hunter outdoors kind of guy and I had fun telling him he had tofu for dinner. Tonight is just a spaghetti night, but I'm making homemade bread to go with it. As soon as I get done wasting time here, I'm headed for the step and LIC. Enjoy your life all.

Robin, I know... it's funny, isn't it? I've worked here for 13 years & before that I designed homes for a builder in Florida, & before that I designed swimming pools. Anyway, I use a CAD program to prepare drawings & email for customer approval & then prepare templates for brick production, but I don't actually make the brick. I also work on other projects like signs, decorative walls, & commemorative pieces. I've been very lucky with my career b/c the only reason I even took drafting & design in school is that I wanted to be an artist. But you gotta make a living, right?

Wow, your job sounds very interesting & very important... & still way above my head. So you might test a throat culture for strep, for instance? Or urine or blood for some other type of infection? I guess you never know what you might be involved in from one day to the next & I think that would make your job very interesting. Plus, you know you're helping others & that's got to make you feel wonderful.

So sorry you're still dealing with that darn cold! Hope you feel better soon. A chocolate celebration sounds like a terrific way to remember your late coworker & also the perfect reason to indulge! Your Pad Thai sounds delish & I'm LOL at the antics with your DD's SO. How funny! I bet he thought he'd never eat tofu & now he's got to admit he ate it... & I bet he liked it too! Ha! Enjoy your workout & spaghetti tonight.

It's been great getting to know you better, Robin!

Hope some others pop in to play too!:p:7

Kel

Hi everyone!

I've been absent the past two days. Had a busy weekend with the family. DH and I had a wonderful dinner out on Saturday. I had grilled Mahi Mahi, spring veggies, a crab cake, and 3 glasses of wine. OMG! The wine was heavenly! It was a fragrant, full-bodied Cabernet. I had to stop myself from licking the remains out of the glass! Sunday we took the kids skating and then to a birthday party. Yesterday DH was away on a business trip so I bought myself some Alaskan Cod and had that for dinner, with a large green salad and lots of lentils. In case you haven't noticed from my previous posts, I've been eating a lot of fish lately! I'm always reading how good it is for you so I'm trying to up my usual intake from one serving a week to three. I don't think DH would tolerate three servings/week but I figured I could eat it for lunch if he wasn't in the mood to have it for dinner. He's leaving for Japan next week and while he's gone I'm going to take advantage and make meals he normally doesn't go for. Lots of fish and lots of chicken. Gotta make the best of his absence, right?

Kel and Robin, you have such interesting jobs! Robin, I guess you majored in med technology in college, right? I wanted to major in that but my math skills left a lot to be desired! In my previous life I was/am a registered nurse. I used to be a nurse manager before leaving my position to have children some 8 years ago. I plan on going back to work part time next year, after all, college will be beckoning before we know it! My DH is an electrical engineer and he works for a Japanese company that wants to expand to North America and Europe. Since he's heading this North American division I'm hoping the business does well so I won't have to work much at all. I've become quite used to being a SAHM!:7

Both DD's are very sick with high fevers and respiratory symptoms and DH called to say he's coming down with it too. I'm praying I don't get it. I'm taking extra doses of Vit C and I think I'll take it easy with the intensity this week because I notice when I do too much of it I'm more susceptible to illness.

What's everyone's plans for Superbowl? I want to hear about menus ladies! Anyone throwing a party? Keep me posted!

Hi Leslie. I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble getting back in the job market. They are screaming for nurses around here. In a few years it will be the same with Med Techs. I hope your girls are better soon. Seems like the minute winter finally arrived, everyone started coming down with nasty colds. You were lucky to be a SAHM for a few years. I never was able to do that, but I had some wonderful babysitters.

Kel, you are exactly right about my job. Your job sounds so creative. My DD started out college in graphic design and I thought she'd love it. She's very creative, but can't draw. She hated it and ended up switching to horticulture. She loves that, which is wierd, cause she never showed any interest in that before.

We'll just stay home alone for the superbowl. We'll be getting back from the Finger Lakes early Sunday evening and probably have friends bring pizza to the house, like every Sunday. They'll probably be gone by game time.

Hi Leslie! Glad you checked in today. I love fish but I don't think my DH would like to have it that often either. Plus, he prefers his fish fried & I prefer mine baked or grilled. At least we agree on the wine!:p They are in desperate need of LPNs, RNs, Med Techs, radiologists, & all other types of medical professionals in my area of the country too so I agree with Robin that you shouldn't have any trouble finding a job you want & I also agree that you've been very lucky to be a SAHM... what a wonderful opportunity that many moms don't have! I hope your DDs feel better soon & I also hope your DH & you don't get sick. Your DH's job sounds interesting & important too. I don't think we'll do anything for the superbowl either but not b/c we're going on a cool trip like Robin! But we'll probably have football-type snacks like wings, dips, & quesadillas. Oh yeah, & probably beer too.

Robin, I probably would have taken graphic design if they had offered it way back when I went to college. But it all turned out fine in the end. Horticulture... now neat!

Hope you girls & all other hedonists have a truly wonderful evening & I'll be back tomorrow!

Kel

Hi fellow hedonists!! Sorry I haven't been by earlier...but I have had an unexpectedly busy day and have not even gotten my yoga workout in yet...It is in the DVD player right now, just waiting for me to hit play! I just wanted to jump on really quick to say hi and let you all know I haven't done anything especially hedonistic...really have not had much fun at all over the past couple of days...but hopefully my slump will be over soon. Sorry to hear about all the sickies out there...We have been lucky on that front so far this year...

It is really interesting to hear about your work lives. I used to work in retail management after getting a totally useless bachelor's degree. I have been a SAHM for the past 7 years, but I am planning on going back to school next fall for radiology tech....and then hopefully to add on working with CTs or MRIs. Kel...had no idea there was any position like yours...Of course, I have never really thought about it before, and someone must design those things...I guess I just always assumed the architects did that too...How inteesting! Leslie and Robin...I would love to hear your thoughts on my upcoming career plans since you guys are in (or were in) related fields...

Have happy and heathy days!! Keep spraying lysol around those sick people so you don't catch it!!

Debra

Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it---Ella Williams

Hello Kel. Leslie, Robin and Debra! (Where is Christine?) I don't even know you guys and I think you are terrific!:)

I went to the extremes this weekend: Friday and Saturday I worked on my new property and got quite a workout and also did Butts and Guts (just for fun, right?) and had nothing to drink Friday or Saturday, inspired by my friends who actually appreciated my Christmas gift of "Eat to Live" and have followed it to the "T"... Then came Sunday. Oh, Sunday. After busting fanny working on my property, and with no lunch and not enough water in me, I accepted a new neighbor's (and fellow devil attorney) offer of a beer. Well, we talked and talked and talked and sipped and sipped then had some red wine then had some white wine... All very delicious wines, I might add, and all fully appreciated. I was dead asleep by 6:00 p.m. And I wished I was dead when I woke up the next morning. Not good. It took all day to recover. So, see what happens when you fall out of practice?? Christine was right!!! Don't give up your wine for even one or two nights or it will be a disaster!

Robin - cool question about what we all do. I am an estate planning attorney (wills and trusts, etc.) and am an investment advisor. Two hats that compliment each other extremely well. Each clientele feeds into the other, back and forth. I'm also general counsel for my husband's Steelcase dealership.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.