heavy weights - DVD selections

Jdnara

I completed STS in December 2015 - I try to do this workout once per year. In January, I began with ICE so this is week 2 of the program.

I was planning to do the rotations in the ICE program as follows:
January - ICE Level 2
February - ICE/X-train
March - ICE/RWH

So far I like ICE because I basically love all things Cathe - but it seems like it is more of a cardio series with a little bit of weights sprinkled in. I typically prefer the opposite - lifting (moderate to heavy) with cardio sprinkled in.

What are your suggestions for heavy/heavier weights Cathe DVD programs (in case I opt not continue with the ICE rotation)? I have on demand....

Thanks!!!

The Muscle Meltdowns, I think, are the heavier lifting portion of ICE. You can try and go as heavy as you want and rest longer between rounds.
"The" Cathe heavier lifting programs are 4 Day Split, Slow & Heavy and RWH. Heavy can be incorporated into LIS Total Body Tri-Sets (I like to go heavy on the legs here actually lowering the reps to 7 on some moves and getting a longer rest) and Muscle Max. Xtrain's Burn Sets utilizes heavy lifting (you can go SUPER Heavy!).

Last edited:
I don't have GS Nathalie (it looks advanced for me) & was under the impression it was predominantly moderate lifting.
Good to know it is being used for Heavy! :)

Elsie:

it's official: The Scrawny Upper Body Club members can absolutely do Gym Styles! It can be used for heavy and moderate weights. I personally have never seen it as really heavy weight training, not like S&H.

Clare

;) Haaha Clare. I've just always been intimidated by GymS. Silly I know!! How did you like it?

Elsie:

to tell you the truth, I am not a big fan of splits. Also, GS came out around the time I got S&H, so it was overshadowed for me by the latter. I was put off by the over-emphasis on chest work in the respective GS upper body workout, way too many push ups, so these two upper body workouts have never been faves of mine. That doesn't mean you and I can't do them, they just don't appeal to me as much.

GS Legs, however, was an instant classic and still is. I use it all the time, making it into the basis of a paper, total body, supersets workout I do when I want to work long and prefer to have musical accompaniment rather than follow along a DVD. The floorwork on GS Legs is just excellent.

Clare

The floorwork on GS Legs is just excellent.

I would add that the GS floorwork is humbling. The standing leg work--especially the brutal slow motion lunges at the very end--is not easy, but the floorwork takes this workout to an entirely new level of difficult. I always pat myself on the back after completing this workout. Such an ego boost, in the best possible way.

As far as GS UB goes, I love to hate the push-ups in the chest workout. They challenge me and, by doing them regularly, have finally helped me break through a personal push-up ability plateau. I also really really enjoy the biceps and triceps work in this series. The back and shoulders are just so-so.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.