Heart Rate Monitor

princessbear

Cathlete
I want to buy a HR Monitor - anyone out there have any suggestions for a good, reliable, simple one? I'm thinking one of the Polar HRM, but not sure which one is best for my buck?

Mary, I use a Polar F6 for most of my workouts (except running) and I have found it easy to use, inexpensive and I like that after installing some software you can download your workouts to a free polar site to keep track. This is a good, reliable site for HRM's: http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/

Thanks - Why don't you use it when running? I'm looking for one that I can use for EVERYTHING and that also counts calories. I'll do some investigating but also put alot of stock in people and their opinions on "stuff".

I have

the polar F4. Its not hard to use at all. I don't think it uploads anything though. I picked it up at Sports Authority. I do wear it to run. It comes in snazzy colors (Berry)

Carole: Out of curiosity, what is it about the F6 that you don't like to use it to run? What do you use for running?

Alisha

I have the Polar F6 Women's HRM in Green Tea and really like it.

http://www.polarusa.com/products/fseries/f6.asp?cat=consumer

I think it is also available in pink and black. I had a fancy shmancy one before that cost several hundred $$ and I never used it because it had too many features and technical moron that I am .......:eek: it was measuring altitude, and other fancy stuff, you could download on the computer and analyse, get graphs etc. It was like a performance lab, way too elaborate for my purposes.

The F6 is pretty simple and I only need it for checking on my heart rate and calories burned. I also liked the design, it is not as bulky as the other Polar HRM. Got mine on eBay for $ 99 with free shipping.

I just need to get a new wristband since my dogs chewed it up :mad::mad:

Last edited:
Mary...the F6 does count calories burned and I think it is fairly accurate as for the info you enter about yourself.

Mary and Alisha...As running is my main cardio and I live in a rural area a Garmin is the best for me on some of these unmarked trails. It is a GPS tracker so it figures my miles and lots of other stuff. I also got the Garmin with the HRM as I like knowing what my heart rate does for runs. The Garmins can be a bit pricey though....:)

Last edited:
I have the Polar F4 and love it. I got it at Target. It also tracks calories. I think I left it in Maine and will probably get another one just like it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.