HEART RATE MONITOR NIGHTMARE!!!

pugsrule

Cathlete
Hello! Just a simple question. Yesterday, I put on my heart rate monitor. I did an oldie, but goodie, powermax....at full blast with 8 inch step....then I did imax 2. My goal is to burn 700 calories per day. After this....that thing said I burned like 623.....for TWO WORKOUTS! WHAT! Then this morning.....I did first section of Body max 2....then Circuit Max.....and half way through Circuit Max it said I burned about 340....I was so frustrated that I took it off and threw it across the room! How can I work out so hard and not burn more calories than a simple walk!!!! Do you think it needs batteries or something....or do I!!!! Thanks a bunch for your help!

My heart rate flucuates alot depending on what I'm doing and thus the total calorie expenditures. When I do Cathe at home, I'm anywhere around 120-160HR. 160 if I'm doing her intervals in Imax or Bootcamp cardio. I find it very hard to get the heart rate up high doing steady state tapes. However if I run or do a spin class my heart rate is high 160-190 my max. An hour spin class I can burn 600-700 calories.

I try to not get discouraged by the heart rate monitor and just push myself and realize every workout will burn different calories. Hope this helps.

Mary

I finally tossed my heart rate monitor, I know when I am working hard and when I am just "coasting". I grew weary of worrying about it.

My Dh says they don't work.. I don't know if hes just saying that cause he doesn't want me to buy one or if he knows that for sure. (since I was going to buy one) anyway. I can tell if I'm working hard or not either and from the results I get.
Jess

I would check/replace the battery and make sure the strap is staying put.. I find that once in a while, when the strap is loose, I look down and see 00.00 for my heart rate so I know the thing isn't registering anything, at least for that moment.. once I tightened the strap, it made all the difference.

Deb

p.s I am addicted to my HRM and would not do a workout without it!

I don't even wear mine anymore. Even though mine is a good one, its allll over the place. The first time I did BM2 I burned almost 700 cals, the 2nd time, probably 400! I also did HSC and only burned little over 200. The only time that thing works in my favor is when I run outside, I even burned up to 1000 cals one time after running 10 miles. My HRM also loses my HR during interval work OR weight work when I am going legs and have my hands on the bb!
Sometimes its best not to know,it can be a little depressing!
I feel your pain~!
Lori:)

Lori - 1000 calories is about right for 10 miles. Generally speaking, you burn 100 calories for every mile you run, no matter how fast you run it. So if you run a 10 minute mile, you're burning 100 calories in 10 minutes, and 8 minute mile is 100 calories in 8 minutes, etc.

I don't wear my HRM anymore either, because I know that the calorie count on it is waaaaaaay high for the most part, and I can tell how hard I'm working.

I agree with Shelly, except that for me it takes 1.10-1.20 miles to burn 100 calories or 13-15 minutes to burn this in a moderately high intensity cardio.

I stopped wearing my HR many years ago. I feel preceived exertion is a better indictor to know how hard or easy you're working out.
Namita

I got the polar f6 about two months ago and have been using it for my workouts and walks. I've liked using it. I also was confused with the calories and tested it over and over again. When I walk for an hour for four miles (I'm a big girl), I burn 500 calories. An hour of Cathe's KPC will burn a little less than 700 calories. Yet, I know that I really worked out hard with Cathe. I wear the monitor just to keep check and it also shows me of my progress in fitness. Each time I do the workout, my heart rate isn't as fast as the previous time. I guess as the workout gets a little simpler, I don't burn as many calories. But that's ok with me. How long have you had your heart rate monitor and does it come with a chest strap?

Rita

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.