Healthy Hedonists check in!

This is a terrific group for feedback and thoughtful pondering of heavy duty issues! After deciding on another thread that, yes, we can workout hard AND enjoy good food and good wine, I decided to start a "Healthy Hedonists" thread. That's a good, descriptive term for enjoying all the good things in life: good health, good food, good drink, good company, good music, etc. Read: ETL thread with a splash! Body + Mind = excellence. Check out the check-ins!:7

I am with you..I enjoy working out, I also enjoy good food, good wine etc. I think it's great! I normally feel guilty when I read what other people eat and do....I know I am much more indulgent..Just glad to know there are others out there like me!!

Debra

Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it---Ella Williams

How brave of you. Last time I posted that I couldn't stick to any strict diets I was flamed. It's nice to know there a few other healthy slackers out there who drink wine......or put sugar <gasp!> in their tea, or eat a scoop of ice cream <zoiks!> after a mountain hike..... }( }( }( }(

Hey, count me in! Thanks to Charlotte for starting this. I am one who absolutely must eat dessert every single night, with no exceptions. I eat a Vitatop (feels decadent to me) with Dryer's/Edy's Slow Churned Light Vanilla ice cream on top. Every night. I lost almost 50lb since the birth of my son 2 1/2 years ago allowing myself this indulgence each night. I go in phases on what the dessert is, but dessert of some sort nonetheless.

Saturday nights are "date" night with DH. After DS goes to bed we cook a meal together and drink wine, Crystal Light margaritas (you have got to try these!),etc. We spend time together just talking. No T.V., no computers, just us. It has been a wonderul way for us to stay connected.

Hope you have a great day!
--Jennifer :)

I'm there! Red wine: check, Pizza: check, chocolate: check, real mayo: check, ice cream: check, then add some Ray Charles, Radiohead, Sparklehorse, Patti Smith, and Miles Davis in for good measure: check check check check check

Moderation most of the time? Of course. But I don't feel guilty about eating really good food and having a good glass of wine to wash it down. Life has some good things to offer, and I have no problem appreciating them!:9 :9

A toast to real mayo - and butter! :p

I have to say, DH and I tried to do Eat to Live the last few weeks and have been sad failures (DH called it "food for people who don't really like food.") I think the book has some great ideas (cooking with salsa -love it!) but I just found myself totally disinterested in being so austere. I know I CAN do it, I just don't want to. Now don't flame me, fans of ETL, I think it's fantastic that some folks do it and love it but it's just not for us. I took what I needed from it - refocusing on fresh, made from scratch food, heavy on the fruits and veggies - and am moving on.

I said to DH the other night, "I'm going to fly into a murderous rage if I don't get some chocolate pretty damn quick." :p

Sparrow

My garden is filled with papayas and mangos
My life is a mixture of reggaes and tangos
Taste for the good life, I can live it no other way
- Jimmy Buffett

Sparrow - I'm with you. I am very impressed by the people who can follow ETL, and part of me wishes I could, but I like food too much to do it. I am eating vegetarian most of the times but only because I found I could cook delicious vegetarian foods and not miss out. I do allow myself meat/fish once a week as an indulgence. I can give up meat, but wine, chocolate, pizza, and other things listed here? Oh heck no!

I'm thrilled to see that I'm not alone in indulging once in a while.

I am eating chocolate even as I write. I tried the ETL and found I became a RNP (really nasty person). I could give up meat, but chocolate and sweets? Never.

Cheryl

And even though I avoid dairy most of the time - NOTHING compares with the taste and pleasure of real butter in / on foods. I've tried most of the coparison products, and nothing comes close. That's why I so chuckle when I see Paula Dean on Food Network. Someone asked one of her sons what her favorite food was, and with that awesome southern drawl he said: "Butter, fried butter with sour cream." LOL
(I also tried ETL. Kudos to all who do it so effectively: DH and I could not. I asked him once what he missed most in the plan: "flavor".)

Lorrie

Pain is temporary - quitting lasts forever
Candace Grasso, CC-V-6

I, too, am one who enjoys a glass of red wine with dinner... and who MUST have some kind of dessert, usually Edy's lite ice cream, but sometimes pie (love blueberry). And I won't give up dark chocolate (not an every-day treat) for anything!!!! I feel like my working out and eating "clean" most of the time allows me to enjoy these little treats, so why not??

Just curious - what is it about ETL plan that makes it so restrictive? I've never tried it, so I'm wondering.

>Just curious - what is it about ETL plan that makes it so
>restrictive? I've never tried it, so I'm wondering.

hi Gail!

I don't know that I would say "restrictive" so much as I would say "lack of variety" at least for me. I felt like every meal had beans. I like beans as much as the next person but I need a change once in a while. As I said, there were some good things, and the recipes I did make were not bad at all, it's just that as food lovers DH and I want our food to be more than just sustenance, if that makes sense? We want the health and nutrition (and get that, believe me!) but also want the freedom to do a face plant into the homefries at our local diner too, should the opportunity present itself. :D

If you are interested in ETL I would say give it a whirl. There are many here who love it, just not in this thread. :p

HTH, Sparrow

- Jimmy Buffett

Hello fellow hedonists!

I looked for the check in over at the Check In board but didn't see any posts for today. Unless my brain was just too fuzzy from all the wine I drank yesterday as I watched my beloved Jets lose miserably to the Patriots!

Today started out well. I ate my bowl of oatmeal and had a hard boiled egg to go with it. Lunch was low fat cream of broccoli soup--that I made from scratch--along with a turkey s/w on Ezekial bread. I'm now sipping some green tea and must get my butt off the couch and get some laundry done so my day won't be a total waste. As I mentioned before, I try to do things in moderation, but I felt compelled to flush out my system today because I ate a platter of deep fried chicken wings and drank way too much wine at my football party yesterday!

Today's workout was Tone it Up! I'm on a high rep rotation alternating SS with Jari, or a Cathe hi-rep workout. As soon as my Iron Woody assisted pull up bands get here I'm going to start "bringing it" with Tony and the gang.

I'll look for this check in tomorrow. I need to be accountable somewhere!

Leslie, you crack me up! I'm going to post in the evenings on the Hedonist check in so I can recount the lovely wine I had before and during dinner!:7

I'm a committed hedonist who really doesn't care for whipped cream, butter, mayo, or most of that rich stuff. I do LOVE cheese though. Especially with wine and crackers. I think a touch of butter can make a dish taste better, but when I watch Paula Deen throwing all that butter into everything it makes me queasy.

I also don't really care for your average chocolate bar. I have this awful habit of reading the ingredients, and once I read about the junk in the chocolate bar, it doesn't appeal to me.

But I do like anything that's really good. I can forego typical greasy pizza, but I can't resist Grimaldi's here in NYC. I enjoy really, really good chocolate cake, if it's really chocolately and not too sweet or overly rich.

I love to eat well, but I won't waste calories on junk. It has to be really great or it doesn't interest me for the most part. But if it's really good, and I really love it, NO WAY am I denying myself. }(

Anyone else like me?

Nancy

>But I do like anything that's really good. I can forego
>typical greasy pizza, but I can't resist Grimaldi's here in
>NYC. I enjoy really, really good chocolate cake, if it's
>really chocolately and not too sweet or overly rich.
>
>I love to eat well, but I won't waste calories on junk. It has
>to be really great or it doesn't interest me for the most
>part. But if it's really good, and I really love it, NO WAY
>am I denying myself. }(
>
>Anyone else like me?
>
>Nancy

Nancy, ITA agree with this. I love indulging but for the most part I want it to be on something worthy of indulgence, whether it's fine dining, home cooking, or, as you say, really good pizza. :D

Sparrow

- Jimmy Buffett

Hey, I want to join...as I sit here sipping my diet hot coca w/ kahula in it. :) It was a rough Monday, okay?!?! Espcially after the workout I did...see post in other forum "WOW....BUTTS&GUTS". I also love my red wine with dinner some nights of the week. Oh yeah and dessert, yep that is me, I just try to make it something lower fat/calorie...have you tried the no pudge brownies? They are really good & you can make "single serve" ones in the microwave so you don't make & eat the whole pan! www.nopudge.com

I think it is all about moderation, calories in, calories out. If I want 100-200 of my calories for the day to be Kahula, then so be it.

FYI, the hot coca w/ the kahula gives you a "full" feeling... kind of like coffee does. :)

Hi!
I want to join in to!! I had 2 glasses of Bogle Merlot (it was to good to have just one glass) and I made home made pizza with the kids tonight sausage and pepperoni. At least I only had one piece of pizza and 2 helpings of salad! oops I forgot the whole wheat choc chip cookie for dessert!
Cheers!
Jen

LOVE GRIMALIDI'S!!! DH has a life-mission to make his pizzas as close to theirs as possible! (I can't even bring myelf to call that Dominios, Pizza Hut, etc. stuff "pizza.")

Don't like regular chocolate bars either, but a little of an 85% cacao dark chocolate bar will take away my cravings and sooth my soul!

I just chimed in at the check in!

So I just wanted to come over here & add that I also love good food, wine, my friends & family, good music, lots of fun, & laughter. But I also love my instense workouts, yoga, & healthy lifestyle. So I think this is a wonderful idea.

Thanks!!!:) :D :7

Kel

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.