Healthies bread

lulu68

Cathlete
Ever since I can remember every morning when I wake up 2:30-2:45 am I toast a piece of bread and cut it in half. I eat one of those half before my workout spread with a little bit of peanut butter and eat the other half with my breakfast. For years I was buying whatever was 100 % wheat, but recently I started experimenting with other breads such as organic, sprouted, etc... What I want to know from those of you who do eat bread wish is the healthiest bread out there to eat and why not 100 % wheat bread? Thanks!

I get bread from my local baker. I like to experiment but it's usually some sort of sourdough using natural risers and always with non gmo and unbleached flour. I get some kind of more non-white one for my spouse as he has some glycemic issues. I am lucky that I do not! I'm sure when I live somewhere that doesn't have bakeries close by, I will have to bake my own as I just cannot eat shelfed bread that generally contains preservatives and some form of sugar. I just tastes old to me. I know, I know ...... bread snob I suppose! ;)
I also love to get the very heavy 'country' breads from time to time (they usually have a lot of coarse grains and seeds and such). Nothing is better with chowder!
This is 'the healthiest' way to go for me without compromising what I like. It is probably not the lowest calorie however. I tend to opt more for digestability and real ingredients rather than calorie count.
I love nut butters for snacking too! We just started making our own!

I too either make my own or buy fresh from a bakery. I use to eat whole wheat bread from the shelf at times but realized I was feeling tired after and had no energy. I looked at the ingredients and found a lot of sodium and a lot of high fructose corn syrup. My body doesn't handle hfcs very well, so I went back to fresh bread. I don't eat much bread to begin with, so that's why I probably noticed a difference.

Firstly - 2:30 - 2:45 am? Kudos for getting a workout in!

I'm another who will only eat bread from a bakery (friends of mine run one - all hand made). I love rye bread, and seem to digest it well. Like Elsie, I like sour dough. My friends are always trying out new products on me - a disaster when they bring a basket full of pain au chocolate....

I also make this myself (I've posted this recipe before) it's not quite bread, but works like bread, if you see what I mean;
http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/

I keep it sliced in the freezer. Yum.

I don't have a recommendation for a commercial bread but I have a recommendation for a bread book, Tartine #3. I got it as a gift and loved it. I plan to bake my way through it slowly. I bake all the bread that we eat using old techniques and no salt.

Justine, Tartine #3 has several recipes that look similar in look at least to the recipe you posted.

I stopped eating bread (and all gluten-containing grains) because I found that these foodstuffs were preventing me from maintaining my ideal weight and causing me to bloat, but I also think they were responsible for driving up my blood glucose level. When I ate "healthy bread," I would make my own, and I also used to buy Ezekiel bread from the freezer section of the grocery store. Now when I want bread (I don't actually crave it, but sometimes it's nice to have) I like to make these two recipes:

http://empoweredsustenance.com/paleo-sandwich-rounds/

http://empoweredsustenance.com/grain-free-butternut-flatbread/

I have been reading this thread with interest although I do not have recipe to share.

@lulu68 --- I would like to express a Bravo for showing such determination to get some workout in while we are all snoozing!.

I have always ate bread on a on and off basis. Eating bread specially compared to other starchy food trigger
comfort eating. At least for me! So now I do not buy any bread and to be honest I do not really feel deprived!
It has been about eight weeks I have not had any. Last time I ate a slice of bread was at a friend's house!:)
:) I have cut out completely any wheat based commercial pizza due to stomach pain after consumption.

I am still into various experiments baking my own bread. I am not really patient into experimenting but I should
persevere I suppose.:)

My 2 cents is try to make your own and do not cut out wheat if you are not allergic to gluten.
Healthy is whole meal flours. There are many: whole wheat flour, spelt, chickpeas flour, coconut flour etc....

Thanks everyone for sharing your recipes:););)

All the best,

Ever since I can remember every morning when I wake up 2:30-2:45 am I toast a piece of bread and cut it in half. I eat one of those half before my workout spread with a little bit of peanut butter and eat the other half with my breakfast. For years I was buying whatever was 100 % wheat, but recently I started experimenting with other breads such as organic, sprouted, etc... What I want to know from those of you who do eat bread wish is the healthiest bread out there to eat and why not 100 % wheat bread? Thanks!

I stopped eating bread (and all gluten-containing grains) because I found that these foodstuffs were preventing me from maintaining my ideal weight and causing me to bloat, but I also think they were responsible for driving up my blood glucose level. When I ate "healthy bread," I would make my own, and I also used to buy Ezekiel bread from the freezer section of the grocery store. Now when I want bread (I don't actually crave it, but sometimes it's nice to have) I like to make these two recipes:

http://empoweredsustenance.com/paleo-sandwich-rounds/

http://empoweredsustenance.com/grain-free-butternut-flatbread/

I have cut out all gluten as well. Feel 100% better. Evidently, it's my thyroid that doesn't like gluten.

What I want to know from those of you who do eat bread wish is the healthiest bread out there to eat and why not 100 % wheat bread? Thanks!

I don't eat bread because it doesn't agree with my gut, but I do make homemade bread for my family. That's a great idea and I recommend it, but given that you wake up at 2:30 am I'm wondering if you have time to add bread baking to your already busy schedule????

Is what you're currently doing NOT working for you? Are you feeling ill or sluggish? Or do you just want to try out something different to see if it works better? Just curious...

If you just want fast and prepackaged, I agree with Carol that Ezekiel bread is one of the better ones out there. Trader Joe's also has some Ezekiel knock-offs (as well as Ezekiel bread itself). Just read the labels, especially if there are certain ingredients you are trying to avoid.

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.