Have you took a week off from exercise?

I was just wondering if so how did you feel after you came back? Also did you lose any gains or results you had made? I was getting burned out and decided to take a week off from exercise....7 full days and here it is day 3 and I feel guilty....but I was getting unmotivated. I get this fear that I will lose all of my results....weird huh? I just wanted to hear from others who have taken a break off....and if so do you schedule them every so often to prevent burn out?

yes I did and...

The good thing is my body got the rest it needed, so desperately. The bad thing is I felt guilty the whole time as well. As to results, I did not see any depreciation or decline in my appearance. However, I began a new "rotation" when I came back and was really, really sore the next day. I am not certain whether or not to attribute the soreness to my time off or the new rotation. At present I believe it was the latter. Truthfully, I am looking forward to my next week off and have decided to use the time for something else. I am only 3 weeks "post-time off" so to speak so I can't speak to the benefits from a physical appearance stand point as of yet. It did refresh me mentally in a big way. I liked my workouts again. Like you I am curious about what others have to say. Please post an update about your progress!

I Take Time Off

After 15 years of exercising I have to take some time off every once in awhile because I get burned out on it. I feel that if I don't take a little break then I will quit and not go back. I always feel refreshed and ready to go when I start back up. I have noticed that I have a little soreness the first couple of workouts but it quickly goes away. I used to feel guilty but I don't anymore. I just tell myself that my body needs this break. I don't think that I lose anything I have worked towards. I don't gain weight or I don't feel I lose any muscle tone. I never take more than 5-7 days off at a time.

I takes time off every six weeks

I go for 6 wks, then take a week off. I've been doing this for a long time, and find I need it to rejuvinate. I work out very intensely, especially with heavy weights. I don't feel I lose any strength by doing this.

I race walk at about 5.5 mph, am trying to get used to an exercise bike, and lift weights. I'm all for taking time off. Don't allow yourself to get obsessed with exercise. It's easy to do!
happy.gif

time off or light week?

I haven't intentionally taken time off. Usually I take time off when I'm sick or completely unmotivated to work out. Which works out to be every 8 weeks or so. I'm fearful of scheduling a time off and getting sick shortly after and losing more workout time. If I take time off due to lack of motivation it's usually less than 3 days. I've been wondering if I should just take the whole week off. How do you stop feeling guilty?

I was wondering if others schedule an easy week instead of the time off. Yoga instead of PS Strength, light & fun aerobics instead of IMAX & BodyMAX. Not that these tapes aren't fun but they are mighty intense.

Thanks

Lydia L

wanted to add

That I do take one day off per week and I don't feel guilty about that. I do enjoy my rest day
happy.gif

Lydia L

Be good to yourself....take time off!!!

You can stop feeling guilty by thinking of your time off as being good to yourself and taking care of yourself...like you do when you eat a good diet. Think of it that way, if you can.

We women are so programmed to work out and starve and be a size 2...it's stupid!
sad.gif

Go forth and be good to thyself
happy.gif

Have to admit

This is my 5th day off and I have to say the guilt is starting to subside.....I have gotten on the scale about 4 times which I usually don't but I actually am a few pounds lighter.....weird water weight or something. I am enjoying really not having to worry about what exercise I will do for the day or how I will fit it in when I have errands to run. But I will start back up on my scheduled day but I am definetely making sure I do this every so often. A thing that makes me wonder is that I seem less moody since I have started my time off...I don't understand that one. Maybe I just need to cut down on the days that I do exercise but I really only exercise 4,5 or 6 days a week. My house even looks much better and cleaner and I am enjoying playing with the kids. I could never quit exercising because I have found what great things it has done for my body.....but with 3 demanding children and a house to keep clean I may just cut back a little bit but NEVER quit. =0) Michelle(who now feels guilty that she is even thinking of cutting back=(

JUST CUT IT OUT!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-99 AT 07:22AM (EST)</font></center>

Let's stop this guilty foolishness!

Remember, dear, that even Cathe takes time off! The fitness godess takes time off! If she can, it means that you certainly can...she doesn't turn to mush with her time-offs
happy.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.