Have you ever had an ovarian cyst?

beehappy

I am just curious to see how many of us suffer from ovarian cysts. I am trying to find out what the safest treatment is for me. I honestly think that when I cut out sugar I have less cysts burst. (Maybe that is wishful thinking.)

I've heard people try birth control, ablation, and IUDs. I have had problems with birth control in the past and I've heard horror stories of people with IUD's. What options do you think are the least invasive?

Not trying to hijack this thread but I have always wondered - how can you tell if you have an ovarian cyst?

Stebby

Beehappy, is it painful when you have a cyst that bursts? I I had one a few years ago. It was so very painful. It happened over a weekend and I don't know what kept me from going to the ER. On that Monday I saw my GYN and he told me that's what it was. It happened right after I had a miscarriage though so that's why I asked about it being painful. I still don't know if the pain I had was from the cyst or the m/c.

I'm sorry I don't have any treatment advice to offer.

Dixiegirl,

Yes, cysts are very painful. Some are worse than others. I usually end up on the floor shaking for about 2 hours with a pain on my right side. When it is over, I fall asleep because I don't have any energy left.

I have also had a miscarriage. I am sorry you have experienced that. I know with my miscarriage I also experienced clotting. I am not sure if that was part of your experience or not.

I just keep thinking that being a girl shouldn't be this hard.

Bee, I'm so sorry you've had more than one burst cyst. The one I had was enough to last me a lifetime. I'm sorry too about your m/c. I actually had 3 before my dr. discovered I did have a clotting disorder. Thankfully it was treatable and I went on to have 2 more children. You're right, it can be so hard to be a girl sometimes, but it's filled w/ blessings too :)

Yes your cysts respond to sugars in the diet in other words eat less of them. Birth control does work to control them. That would be the least invasive. That said: it would probably be a laprascopic procedure to fix them and not be nearly as invasive as other kinds of procedures.

I had a fairly large ovarian cyst burst a few months ago. It was the worst pain. I went to an Urgent Care clinic who sent me off to the ER because they thought my appendix burst. Turned out it was an ovarian cyst. It hurt for days afterwards due to the fluid that had been released.

I'm sorry for anyone that has had one or many....definitely hurts!

Cysts

I have polycystic ovarian syndrome. It's TERRIBLE!!! My ovaries are always covered in small cysts around 1 cm that never go away, but my body likes to make some of them grow grow grow. When they grow, they always get around the size of a grapefruit. The older I get the more it seems to happen. When the cyst gets that big, my doctor usually gives it two months (or two periods) to see if it resolves itself. I've had them rupture...which is very very PAINFUL. My cysts don't usually go away when they get over 6 cm. I've had a few laparoscopy procedures to drain them and another procedure similar to amniocentesis where a needle is pushed through the abdomen into the cysts to suction out the fluid. My ovarian cysts are quite painful. I'm on the thin side, so if I lean back, you can see the big bump from large cysts. Mine are such a problem that I'm considering a hysterectomy at 37. My PCOS has caused infertility issues, miscarriages, etc. I wouldn't wish any of it on my worst enemy.:(

S~Tyro

Does your doctor suggest anything helpful besides surgery? I am so sorry that you have to deal with all of that pain!

When you do have to deal with them bursting, how do you get through the pain? Does your doctor prescribe something to get through it?

Toomuchjoy

I can relate to your ER visit. They ended up taking my appendix out because they thought it was going to burst. It wasn't till afterwards they let me know it was a cyst.

Thanks for responding to the thread S~Tyro and Toomuchjoy. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this.

I usually get small cycts after my period. The pain (which isn't that bad for me) usually lasts' 1 or 2 days. My experience isn't nearly as bad as the others on here. I used to be on b/c but quit taking them at least 5 years ago and that's when I started getting the cycts. So for me, b/c did help in preventing them. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Beehappy,

I usually can't stand up when my cysts burst. I have to curl up in a ball, take a hot bath, and/or use a heating pad. Then I take ibuprofen for the anti-inflammatory. That seems to help, but those few hours are UNBELIEVABLE! My doctor has tried different birth control pills to suppress my ovaries, etc., but it didn't help much. My doctor's concerned my ovaries will twist because of the size of the cysts. This would cut off the blood supply and require emergency surgery. I haven't had that happen so far (thank goodness) because the cysts burst or I end up having it drained before that has a chance to happen. It sucks!:(

So sorry you're having to deal with this! I've had two burst cysts - one was the closest I've ever come to visiting an ER but thankfully it didn't come to that - I couldn't move or stand upright, was literally doubled over in pain and finally just in the fetal position... Ibuprofen kicked in and took care of the extreme pain but my abdomen was swollen and tender from the fluid and felt bruised for a day or two after - so bizarre. I would love to hear any other remedies. I agree nutrition is helpful but I can't say with any certainty what's/what as mine have been few and random thankfully. I think stress :mad: is a huge factor overall .... just for what that's worth. Sending positive thoughts

I had a fairly large ovarian cyst burst a few months ago. It was the worst pain. I went to an Urgent Care clinic who sent me off to the ER because they thought my appendix burst. Turned out it was an ovarian cyst. It hurt for days afterwards due to the fluid that had been released.

I'm sorry for anyone that has had one or many....definitely hurts!

I had this happen in 1992. Pain was vicious because all the fluid bursts through the body, presses up against the diaphragm and I couldn't work out why my shoulders hurt so much. I could not lie down. I opted for laparoscopic surgery to deal with it. No scar at all. back to myself within about 4 days.

My dear friend had one that grew far too big before she got it taken care of, a massive swelling in her body, made her look 5 months pregnant. To take it out required removal of entire ovary because it had grown over it. Deal with ovarian cysts sooner rather than later, that's the answer.

Clare

I found out that I have cysts on my left ovary after I had a MicroAbalation done...and need a hysteromry (sp?). I also have cysts in my boobs. They hurt like crazy too.

Don't forget: you may wish to avoid all sources of estrogen in your food. Some women (like yours truly) respond to estrogens in your food such as soy, millet, carrots, and yams. The estrogen can cause this problem. Regular milk (not organic) is also a source of estrogen.

I knew about the soy but not about the carrots and yams. I eat baby carrots at least 2x a week riding to work. I really don't drink milk unless it is cheese or ice cream. Thanks for the info!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.