Has PETA lost its mind, or...?

PETA is ridiculous. I sometimes think they do more harm than good in terms of animal rights, with headline-grabbing pranks like this one.

I think PETA has a split personality.
There's the PETA that does investigations into animal cruelty (like how animals testing Iam's pet food are treated) and encouraging people to lead more humane lives. Then there's the WTF? PETA of the "rather go naked" ads and going to extremes.

I support one, but I'm really annoyed by the other.

Not sure what to say on that one!!......REALLY PETA!?!?! Guess they don't want to see me in the shower when there's a spider!!! :confused:

I know a lot of vegans (ex. Bob and Jenna from Veganfreak podcast/books/forum) are outspoken about how much they hate PETA. I totally get why people get so annoyed with them and I don't support them, but I know why they do this crap--to get people talking (exactly like we are). Ingrid Newkirk is very open about it. They don't have a lot of money for publicity, so they do these ridiculous stunts and get covered by major media. You have to admit it works. Then the idea is that people stumble upon their website where they get "educated" about animal rights and then change their ways.

Still annoying though.

Amy

I don't comdemn the urge to take flies outside- I do that for spiders and mostly leave other bugs alone. I take issue with PETA's way of getting their message across- it is ineffective, alienating and ultimately, ridiculous.

PETA is nuts. And that whole "I'd rather be naked than wear fur..." thing. I mean, really. A bunch of supermodels taking their clothes off (again) to make a "political statement." Oh wow. What a SACRIFICE!!! :p:p:p.

I must say, though, I have a whole routine for rescuing spiders and letting them go outside. It involves a barely-damp sponge, a thin sheet of cardstock, a jar... Nobody gets hurt and Spidey lives on to see another day. I still feel guilty about a huge brown spider I killed, that was desperately trying to get away, when I was in the 8th grade. When I told my dad of my guilt he was no help. He took a swig of his beer, looked at me with grave seriosity (new word alert), and said "You probably killed CHARLOTTE!" He loved that cartoon. And he wasn't joking, either.

I know a lot of vegans (ex. Bob and Jenna from Veganfreak podcast/books/forum) are outspoken about how much they hate PETA. I totally get why people get so annoyed with them and I don't support them, but I know why they do this crap--to get people talking (exactly like we are). Ingrid Newkirk is very open about it. They don't have a lot of money for publicity, so they do these ridiculous stunts and get covered by major media. You have to admit it works. Then the idea is that people stumble upon their website where they get "educated" about animal rights and then change their ways.

I would think that it would attract only a certain demographic (rebellous youth?).

Otherwise, PETA does somewhat of a disservice to the vegan/animal rights folks by perpetuating the stereotype of the "angry vegan." Sure, they get a lot of press, but often it's as the butt of a joke that makes people concerned about animals look like whacko extremists.

Not sure what to say on that one!!......REALLY PETA!?!?! Guess they don't want to see me in the shower when there's a spider!!! :confused:

Forget the spiders--you should see me when there's a centipede in the vicinity! I do kill them, but it usually takes about 15 minutes of shrieking & hopping from one side of the room to another to make sure it doesn't get close enough to crawl up my sleeve. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Forget the spiders--you should see me when there's a centipede in the vicinity! I do kill them, but it usually takes about 15 minutes of shrieking & hopping from one side of the room to another to make sure it doesn't get close enough to crawl up my sleeve. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

SAVE THE CENTIPEDES!!!

I actually do... really. I feel bad for the poor little things but my cats LOVE them :p.

Sure, they get a lot of press, but often it's as the butt of a joke that makes people concerned about animals look like whacko extremists.

Yep, exactly. I don't want that group representing me.

This is one of the problems that I have, as well. It's not that I don't WANT to throw fake blood at Anna Wintour - of course I do - but I would rather actually persuade people to try vegetarianism or to stop buying animal-tested cosmetics, or to volunteer at a shelter. I can't accomplish those things if everyone thinks I'm a violent nutjob. Also, I disagree with violence (against humans or animals).

I don't see anything that says this guy is working for/with PETA. He may be a member, but anyone can become a member.

Kathryn, I should have phrased that differently.:eek: What I should have said is that PETA contributes a lot of money to the legal defense of several animal rights group including Daniel Andrea's In Defense of Animals group.

Here are some of the reports.
"PETA continues to hire convicted ALF militants and funds their legal defense. In at least one case, court records show that Ingrid Newkirk herself was involved in an ALF arson."

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/article_detail.cfm/article/151

http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/21

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-25239061_ITM

http://www.jbpet.com/dog-toys.html?..._tm=Dog+Toys&gclid=COLD6M_cmJsCFQEeDQod_RmGog

Last edited:
PETA is ridiculous. I sometimes think they do more harm than good in terms of animal rights, with headline-grabbing pranks like this one. Seriously, fly-swatting? Personally, I'd prefer to spend my time and money campaigning against the institutions that mete out massive atrocities against animals, like unnecessary cosmetic testing facilities or factory farms. Not one guy swatting a fly.

Also, I think their use of naked female "vegetarians" in their ad campaigns is sexist.

I know, I think they have gotten completely out of hand.

I have to agree with everyone. A very long time ago, 80's I was a supporter, but they just starting crossing a lot of lines I wasn't comfortable with and it's only gotten worse. I prefer organizations for whom humane treatment of animals also extends to humane treatment for humans as well. The way they use woman in their ads has long bothered me, and what bothers me more is that the woman let them do it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.