Has anyone tried a detox flush or a juice fast?

bella30

Cathlete
I have been listening to a program on Sirius Radio, The Herbal Pharmacist. He makes a really big deal about how great 'flushes' and fasts are for your body. They detoxify, and get your digestion back on track. Just wondering if anyone had personal experience with these. What products did you use? What were your results?

I hope somebody answers. I, too, have the same questions. On a recent cruise the fitness girls pushed an Elemis detox. It lasted nine months and cost over $300.00! Needless to say, I didn't buy it!
Ellen

I have done the master cleanse, also called the lemonade diet. You drink this lemonade drink whenever you feel hungry for they say 10 days. I thought it was ok. I always felt like I had lost alot of the water I was retaining, and that made me feel better. The only thing is I was so weak from no food, it was hard to function at all during the day. Hope this helps....Brandi

I just watched a very interesting program on Discovery Health called The Truth About Food. It is by Dr Oz. They did a test concerning this. They put about 6 women on a detox diet and the other 5 0r 6 ate regular for a week or 10 days. They collected all their urine at the start and end of the week along with other tests. There was no difference in the urine from the detox group. I don't recall what they were looking for but needless to say the girls on the detox were very disappointed and felt really bad after about day 3. They also did a skin test regarding water. One girl drank a lot of water and the other only a normal amount. There was no difference in the skin moisture content of the skin at the end of the test. He seems to think drinking all that excess water does not produce any benefits unless you are exercising or working and sweating a lot, then you need to drink more. He said the body gets all the water it needs from foods and showed how much water is in the different things we eat. I am not saying he is right or wrong but found it interesting.

Susan

Frankly, I would never ever consider a juice fast or anything of the sort. I eat right and workout hard, it would leave me feeling horrid.
I do however use the Smart Cleanse, it helps move things along, especially when you are eating alot of protein.

I did a juice fast for 14 days. I juiced fresh fruits. It was hard for the first 3 days, then it was surprisingly easy. I completely lost my appetite after 3 days, didn't feel hungry at all. I didn't feel tired or drained.

I also didn't notice any difference in my health. None of the wonderful things happened that I thought would (according to the book I was reading).

It was pretty much a waste of time IMHO.

I am on my last day of the 14 day detox from David Kirsch. It wasn't too bad. It's the ABCDEF's that you can't do...alcohol, bread,carbs (grains, pasta, bread etc)no dairy,extra sugar subs or sugar, or fruit. Plus you work out every day essentially....I was exhusted the first 5 days really dragging but then it changed. I was really happy about that...I have lost 9 lbs. That's pretty extreme. He suggests taking a rest week or two before trying it again. My skin is pretty clear and I don't think I cheated (hidden sugars etc...) I am pretty impressed by the results. I have another 14 lbs I'd love to shed permanently to be my dream weight but we'll see. I am pretty new at working this hard and have only been doing the intense workouts and clean diet for 1.5 years. It shows and I look amazing. Still I have a ways to go...turning 47 in a week I know I look really great fro a geezer. LOL Still I have a mission to have a smoking cover girl body by my 50th. I think honestly it takes at least a few years to reach that goal for my genetics and disipline.

You can go to David Kirsch.com and see his stuff. I am pretty sold on this plan. Honestly it's the Alcohol and second hand binging with the BF television late snacking...hell. This is what gets and keeps the lbs on. seeing my abs for the first time "ever " is motive enough for me to do this "fast" again in a week or two.

Good luck.

R

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.