Has anyone had their RMR tested?

RachelleS

Cathlete
Was it worth the money to do so? There is only one place in town that does the test and it's $50. Since it's taken me over a year to lose 19 pounds and I've been playing with numbers since October 2002 trying to figure out where I need to be and figuring my metabilism has to be slower then molasses . . . I'm considering taking the test. I just hate to spend the $50 when I could put it toward Cathe's tapes . . . I'd love to hear from those that have had it done. Thanks.

I have done it. With the Body Gem. However, I had a goofy personal trainer do it and I think HE might have messed it up. It said I burned, RESTING mind you, 2200 calories per day. That is BEFORE actually walking around and way before doing a Cathe tape! HA!

I say, save your money. I did it for free...included in a personal training package. But, I say, either you will walk out crying realizing you must subsist off of craker peices or you will walk out thinking you burn tons of calories like me, which may make you more likely to pig out. The information it gives is really not that useful. You would be better off getting some new Cathe tapes to help motivate you to build some more calorie burning muscle!!!

Good Luck, whatever you do.....
Janice

I had this test done. I was having trouble maintaining my weight rather than losing. My RMR results were really low - 950. The guy who did the test said that I should eat 1200 to lose and approx 1500 to maintain.

Those numbers didn't work for me. I was still losing on 1700 cals. I eventually had to eat 2400 cals to gain. Through trial and error I also worked out that I needed to eat 2000 to maintain.

I currently need to lose 8lbs (gained over the holiday period) and I've already lost 4lbs by varying between 1500 - 1800. So I guess the test wasn't really useful for me. I've had to work out the numbers for myself through experimentation. Besides I've tried 1200 cals and with my one hour walk in the morning plus my Cathe workouts in the evening, I ended up binging non stop. I probably would have lost weight I guess if I had stuck with it, but I don't take well to feeling hungry all the time.

However my friend did lose 15lbs after having that test done. She lost it really fast too and said she was never hungry. She isn't very active though (twice a week on a treadmill or a swim on the weekends). I've heard that it is the most scientific way of testing how many cals your body needs. Unfortunately the RMR doesn't determine how your body or metabolism responds to exercise. That is important when you are very active. I know that my apetite shrinks when I don't work out for a week. I can cut what I eat in half.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.