Has anyone had microdermabrasion?

LauraMax

Cathlete
Not the stuff you do at home, but the stuff you get at a cosmetic surgeon's office? I have one scheduled for Thursday afternoon & I'm just curious what to expect.

Please tell me it'll take 10 years off my face. Some guy at the gym last week guessed my age at 42 & I didn't sleep all night. :-(

Hello Laura,

I have microdermabrasion at the beautician about 1 a month. The place where I go to they do a very good job: they cleanse thoroughly, put glycolic peel on first before the do the microdermabrasion. Microdermabrasion is basically a facial scrub using a machine that pumps crystals on to your skin and then suck them up again. It's more intense than a home facial scrub. Afterwards, you skin will be slightly red. If your skin is spotty, greasy then this is great for you. Regular treatments, once every 3-4 weeks, are ideal to keep your skin glowing. It's perfect to get rid of deeper debris that settles just under your skin.

I have been to places that just uses the machine without proper cleansing and glycolic acid. It did not clean my skin as good and I did not like it at all.

You don't need to go to a surgeon to have this done, a qualified beauty therapist should know how to do it.

I have been told that this treatment is ideal for women between 25-30s as their skin still retains elasticity, but if your skin is older/drier then it could be too harsh. My skin is oily and I get blackheads and spots occasionally because of the sebum beneath.

Hope this helps.

Yen

I have had it many times. The experience depends on the machine your CS office uses. The old ones use crystals [or salt I think]. Not sure what it really is, but it feels like sand. You will leave with it in your ears and stuff. No problem. It washes off. I actually liked the results of this method better than the newer machines. The newer ones utilize a disc. Kind of like a sander. No mess here. They will prep your face by washing it, do the micro, and off you go. Your face may be a bit pinkish depending on your sensitivity level. It will be very smooth afterward. I have very sen. skin so I actually get a bit of peeling about three days after. More peeling with the old process than the new. The peeling is easy to hide. Your skin will be lovely afterward. As for taking off years.... you need to do more than one treatment and keep them up. A once a month treatment is great and alter each month will chemical peels [very, very mild ones] You will see the freckles and brown spots fade. Oh, they use a bleaching cream after treatment at my place. W/B with any additional questions.

Yen,

Does it help with acne scarring at all? I have a lot of that because I tend to pick at my skin. :-(

Also, the prices I have seen are very high. That may have been for a dermatologist. Were the prices for your treatment really high?

Thanks,
Christine

Thanks for the info ladies. It is a bit pricey but I'd scheduled it a couple of months ago before I ran into all these other unexpected expenses...we'll see how it goes. I'm trying to cut out luxuries but if I feel like it really makes a difference I might make it a monthly thing.

After all, everyone needs a treat sometimes, right? (yeah I'm rationalizing but work with me here :+ )

You really do need to give it a few treatments to see the best results. You could go every six weeks. While your there ask what skin care products they reccomend. I have my micro done at my dematologists office and buy some wonderful products from them. They are pricey, but last a long long time.

Hello Christine,

It does help with slight scarring from acne, but not deep indentations. I used to squeeze my spots and blackheads (bad habit) and that leaves bruises and dark little blotches that eventually disappears. But with microdermabrasion these offensive little blotches disappear quicker. My blackheads (which eventually turn to spots) come out so easily after the treatment, especially the nose area.

I live in London and the price I pay is £65 (about $114) per treatment. I find that really expensive, but compare to other facials I used to have it's twice as effective so I do not think of the price too much.

I would highly recommend that you find someone who will include glycolic peeling with the treatment as the glycolic peel is an acid (fruit acid) that works to remove the top layer of your skin. A good therapist will also insist that you avoid the sun while having these treatments.

It is very goo and I highly recommend it: I read that Cindy Crawford has one every month to keep her looking young. You can't get a better advert for this than Cindy.

If you skin is greasy, prone to spots and blackheads then give it a try.

Yen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.