Hardwood or Carpet

sue320

Cathlete
I have hardwood floors in my new house. I have a room exclusively my own for exercising. I initially put down an area carpet/rug to muffle noise and because it just makes it a little cozier in there (I was planning to use it as a craft room too). In reality, I don't know when I'll get back to scrapbooking. I do have the concern about rotating and twisting my knees with some of the moves and find myself having to completely lift my foot to avoid this. Should I take up the carpet?

Input please.

TIA
Sue<><

Sue:

I workout on hardwood floors. Love them. Can't imagine working out on carpet! I think I would definitely fall over and sprain an ankle. And I have never suffered injuries related to the flooring at all.

I'd say, tear it up!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do others think?

Clare

If you do any workouts that have pivot moves (kickboxing or any pivoting-on-the-floor step or hi-lo) I strongly suggest getting rid of the carpet and going bare floor. If you need somdething to muffle the noise at times or to absorb some impact, you could get some interlocking floor mats from Home Depot and put them down when you need them.

For 5 years I worked out on an area rug on a linoleum floor on a concrete foundation. It was very firm. Then I moved, and my new house was built on a perimeter foundation with suspended floors (crawlspace underneath the house). My workout space is on an area rug over a thickly padded carpet on a suspended floor. Talk about shock absorption! At first, everything was wobbly, especially my step. I had to cut out all pivoting, turning, and side-to-side moves on carpet to spare my knees. I also had to be incredibly careful on my wobbly step. But now, 9 months later, I find I have no problems at all with my step, and my balance is incredible (for me). I can walk on the incline balance beams at the park with no problem, have no problem doing "flying angels", pivots and turns on my step, etc. I have recently found that I can resume the side-to-side moves such as side-to-side squats and sumos on the carpet (but I know better than to ever resume the pivots and turns on carpet).

I'd vote for a hardwood floor but if you decide to go for carpet, Dansneakers are pretty good for pivots and turns on a carpet. They have a split sole (cushioning soles are found on the toes and heels but not the arch) to give you total foot flexibility but this may be unsuitable if you have a foot problem. I don't think they're suitable for high impact workouts but they're great for low impact workouts with lots of twists, turns and pointy toes!
ATB,
- Lisa :)

As long as the carpet is very low pile you should be ok. I have a low pile berber in my workout room and I dont have any problems.

I tore out the carpeting in the room I use for working out (and sewing). I'm a real klutz and have stumbled and got hurt working out on carpeting. Fancy footwork is easier on hardwood floors and you can always haul out a small mat for floorwork. I do have a small rug to keep my step from sliding around and it works great. Also clean up is easier after a sewing binge.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.