hands going numb during squats with barbell...

J

jennifer2

Hi Cathe!

I've been meaning to post this for a long time, but for some reason, never got around to it. I just did BodyMax this morning and got reminded of it, so here I am!
happy.gif

When I'm doing barbell squats, I make sure not to place my barbell right behind my neck so that I don't strain my neck. What I notice though, is that because I have the barbell on that muscular part of my back (where we're supposed to have our barbell, I think), my hands start to get numb from reaching up behind the barbell to grip it. Because of this, I have to take a few seconds after each set to put down my barbell and massage my hands before I go into the next set...

Is this normal? I can't help thinking I'm doing something wrong, because I can't imagine that my hands should be going numb! Where exactly should I be placing my barbell, and how should I be gripping it so that 1) it's secure and 2) it doesn't put my arms/hands in an awkward position?

Thanks in advance
happy.gif

You are not alone!

This actually happenes to a lot of people including myself. Some people have also said that they experience this in their arms and/or upper back. To my knowledge, there is no specific remedy to eliminate this sensation. You may even notice that you experience it more with one workout than another, or when you have previously worked a specific body part. You are correct in keeping the bar on the more muscular part of the upper back vs the bonier portion. If it helps to put the bar down between sets, then continue to do that. When the bar is on your back, see if keeping your knuckles up toward the ceiling rather than possibly aiming them toward the back wall helps increase your circulation. Also, see if having your arms out wider helps. You can also try moving the bar around to a slightly different area on your back to see if this is more comfortable.

I personally have noticed that I used to feel like my entire arm fell asleep during long squat sets but then over a period of a steady rotation(say a month or so)it would just adapt and the numbing sensation would disappear. Also, putting the bar up on my back after a heavy bicep workout still makes my arms feel as though they are falling asleep. Therefore, I try to avoid putting that combination together.

Good Luck!

try this

I hold my barbell OUTSIDE the plates (I look like a bird about to take off, get the picture?) and it helps me a lot. I've often wondered if there is any safety reason not to do this. . . It seems to help with balance on dips and lunges as well as reducing that tingly numbing sensation. I have long arms and this is really comfy.

Whew!

Cathe,

Thanks so much for allaying my fears LOL! I'm relieved to know that this is a common sensation... Hmm, I guess I'll have to do some experimentation to see what will be most comfortable
happy.gif

Hi Susan!

That may be a little difficult with my particular barbell since I'm using the FIRM one, which is shorter than a normal barbell...

But I have been salivating at Cathe's new set *heehee*, so I may just have to get it so I can have my hands grip the bar wider
wink.gif

Diameter of the barbell?

Hi Jennifer:

I just wondered if you'd ever tried doing squats with a different barbell. I ask because I know the FIRM barbell has a larger diameter than most standard barbells. It's possible that a standard diameter barbell might not cause the numbness. Just a thought, but you could try borrowing a friend's barbell and see if it makes a difference. (OK, so borrowing a friend's barbell is probably a pretty ridiculous thought -- I know if I had to borrow someone else's barbell, I'd have to drive to another VFers house! Oh, well.)

Same problem too!

I've tried moving my hands out on the barbell & that seems to really help. Haven't tried going outside the plates though. I'll give that a try next time.
Thanks
Kay

diameter of barbell...

Hi Daphne! I noticed this sensation too even when I was using a body bar for the plie squats in PS SLA (although body bars are pretty thick too, I suppose)...

I *am* thinking seriously about getting the new barbell set that Cathe uses *hehe*, so I'll find out then if this is just inherent to the FIRM barbell, or if it's just the way my body is!

me too!

I too am the proud owner of the Firm's barbell. Actually, the fact that it is shorter makes it EASIER to hold on outside the plates. It is just basically a wider grip.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.