Hand Pains

I did Push Pull for the first time yesterday and today my hands are very tense and sore, especially my right hand. It hurts when I hold anything to large in my hand (i.e. a glass of water). It also hurts when I bend my thumbs back. I didn't use weights that I haven't used before. Any advice would be appreciated!

Are you on a computer a lot during the day typing? My hands sometimes get sore when using weights and I tend to think it is due to my job and being on the computer all day long. I've worked in my current job for 10 years so being on computer all day takes it toll. I haven't found anything to really help it but if you use a keyboard tray try moving the keyboard to the desktop. I really started having hand probs about 6 years ago, hands would be numb in the morning for about an hour, and my boss at the time had me move my keyboard up and it really has helped. Anyway, not sure that is your situation but thought I'd post in case it helps! :)

I was fighting this as well. I was doing bicep curls and had to drop the weight down, and I thought what the heck is wrong with my arm??? Then I realized it was my grip that was giving me the probs, bot my arm. I am on the computer all day at work and the phone. I dial the phone with my right had as well and bwtn that and typing its always in a kind of "bent up" position. I've also recently gone back to cross stitching which is a lot of hand/wrist movement and when it really started to bother me. I find that if i take breaks during the day and GENTLY bend my wrist front and back as far as it will comfortably go and rotate it in a few circles it really seems to loosen up and get the ache out. I also just bend my fingers back from the hand joint a little to stretch them out forward and back, and my thumb as well. Has helped alot!!!

HTH,

Nan

Hello,

If you are using the computer a lot as the others have suggested then you could be suffering from RSI - Repetitive Strain Injury. This could be quite serious in the long run as I know two girls who are both computer programmers suffered from this. One girl took 3 months off work and the other left her job completely.

I sit at the computer all day too and I noticed a while back that my right wrist hurt when I use the mouse. I recognised the problem straight away and switched my mouse to my left hand.

I think that the wrist exercises with weights in S&H and Gym Styles biceps are good for strengthening them and could prevent RSI in long run. I don't do them often enough but I know that all the weight training I do after work has probably helped me to avoid this problem. You could also try some stretching exercises for the hand like laying them flat on a flat surface then lift up the palm while pressing down on the fingers and thumbs. You should feel your fingers stretching (I learnt this in yoga). Do it gradually and over time you will be able to increase the stretch.

Yen

I also suffer from hand pain. I have a trigger finger in the right hand. Had cortisone shots that only worked for three months at a time. When I wake up the finger is stiff and hard to bend, but as day goes on it feels better. Sometimes I just have pain in that hand. I am living with it as I don't want trigger finger surgery. Also, when I grip weights too tight it aggravates it. Orthopedist said I can live with it - I also sit at a computer all day and need to take breaks. maryann

Thanks for the help guys! No, I'm not at a computer all day. I'm probably using a computer between 30-60 mins a day, and most of that isn't spent typing. I had a computer job (data entry), but I opened my pet sitting business this summer (hooray!).

I had the same kind of tension in my feet a few days ago (after KPC and PLB), but this is gone now. The pain in my hands has subsided as well.

I think its just because I took a few months off from weight training with heavy weights (and exercising all together). Maybe my body is pissed because I'm starting up again ;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.