Hamstring Development

AngelaP

Cathlete
Cathe or the Educated Crowd, I seem to have lopsided hamstring development. My left hamstring is much more pronounced than my right and I can't figure out why. The bulge is definitely bigger on the left. I really try to concentrate on both legs equally during deadlifts, glute raises, leg presses, etc. Any way to even these up or any ideas about why this is happening?

It may just be the way you are built.
If you think there may be an imbalance (one side is stronger than the other and has thus gotten bigger), you might want to be sure to include one-legged hamstring work in your workout, being sure to work each side the same number of times (though I've also seen recommendations for doing extra reps or even an extra set on the weaker side until it catches up).

Always working hamstrings with two-legged moves like deadlifts, for example, can promote the imbalance by allowing the stronger side to do the lion's share of the work, letting the weaker side get by with less.

Moves like ham curls wearing an ankle weight, one-legged deadlifts, and stability ball raises with one leg on the ball (or on the top of a step or high step) are effective one-legged ham moves. "Legs and Glutes" contains several one-sided ham moves (one-legged deadlifts, some floor work with ankle weights)and PLB has some good stability ball ham work.

Thanks Kathryn - I'm starting to think its the way I'm built because its my right side that is stronger. I have L&G and PLB and I really try to work the right side to try to correct this imbalance in appearance.

I have a similiar yet opposite problem, my quads are uneven :) but I know it was due to a knee surgery years ago, the muscle may never look right again but I do sometimes extra on that leg to try and help it along.
Traci'

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.