Hair straightener advice needed

msmik

Cathlete
I am thinking about buying a new hair straightener. At the hair salon I go to, they sell them for about 150.00. My hairdresser was telling me I should get a good one, with ceramic plates that heat up quickly, and cools down quickly. Does anyone have any advice for me? Is an expensive one any better than a 50.00 one from Amazon which also has the ceramic plates and heats to 450 degrees?

If you have one you're really happy with, could you share the brand name and details about it?

Kimberly

Hi,

I am on my second Solia ( nothing wrong with the first one, it still works), got a steal on one so I got it. I don't remember the price, over$100, but not as high as $150. You can look here, they have lots of reviews, comments etc on all kinds of brands:

Makeupalley Message Boards - Hair Care Board - threads 260657 through 260627

Top recommended seems to be GHD, Sedu and Solia.

you will have to open a free type account to sign in and read reviews....

Last edited:
I would buy one that has adjustable heat. I have one that adjust by exact degrees...I always flat iron at 350, which is more than 100 degrees below top setting. ;) I purchased mine through my hair salon and paid $100, but I get a one year no questions asked replacement plan. I have had to replace mine because the elements shorted out.

I purchased my flat iron for $30 at Marshalls. It has all the bells and whistles, and the retail price was $200.

I paid $100 for my first one and when it died I bought one on ebay for about $20. I've had several and I can't tell the difference between one and the others. One had the adjustable heat and the Chi is non adjustable but works great. All are ceramic plates with extra long cords. I don't see the need to pay $100 for something I can get for $20 if I can't tell the diffrernce in performance.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.