Hair Color

Stacy

Cathlete
I know the last thing some people are worrying about is hair color but COVID is forcing me to color my hair myself and I've never done that ever. I'm also not very talented in the "girly" stuff dept. Times are tough enough that my having a hold head of gray is going to tip the scales for me. Any advice for a first timer?

I'm a big chicken when comes to coloring or cutting my own hair.....I'm going to be wearing lots of hats.

Luckily, I had my hair color done the week before we were all placed under house arrest, but I too am worried about having to color my own hair (and feeling guilty and spoiled for worrying about that!) I not only cover the grays, but have highlights too. Eeeek! My suggestion would be to look for YouTube how-to videos. I'm hoping (and praying) there are sympathetic hair stylists who might post some of these. My other suggestion would be to search online forums for local hair stylists who might be willing to make a house call.

I don’t color my hair but my hair stylist put together and sold kits to her clients that do. She suggested that they check out YouTube for more information, though she was willing to answer questions.

Wow Lannette, how nice of your stylist to do that. It’s a great idea. I’ve been coloring at home for years. I use L’Oréal Féria and it has instructions included in the box. But I also think YouTube is a good idea. One little thing I do is to use an old, cleaned mascara brush to get the fine hairs in the hairline. After I did it the first time I thought “Oh ok...not so scary”.

Yes, she is quite special. ETA: I just pm’d My sister who was a hair stylist and did coloring if she has any suggestions. tlc93 those sound like good suggestions.

Last edited:
I have used the L'Oreal Magic Root cover-up product mentioned above. It allows me to extend my color for weeks to lessen the processing on my hair. It's a spray, so very easy to use. Stays on your hair until you wash it out. They have several colors, so finding one that matches is easy. With highlights you could get two different colors. I've bought it at Walgreens and Amazon for well under $10, so very affordable. It's a great product to help get us through this time with no salons open.

Wow Lannette, how nice of your stylist to do that. It’s a great idea. I’ve been coloring at home for years. I use L’Oréal Féria and it has instructions included in the box. But I also think YouTube is a good idea. One little thing I do is to use an old, cleaned mascara brush to get the fine hairs in the hairline. After I did it the first time I thought “Oh ok...not so scary”.
What a great idea to use an old cleaned mascara brush to get the fine hairs! Thanks!!!

I'm a hair stylist, 32 years. In reference to the post about asking a stylist for a house call during these times is illegal. For those of u with color and highlights, don't even attempt to color yourself, as application is key. If you're a level 6 or 7 light brown/dark blonde, I recommend a neutral 6N or 7N.
But truly, it's best to wait for your stylist. Self color correction is a pain for us, plus u could wind up with a band of unmatched color all over your head if your self attempt isn't great

My workout buddy is a hair dresser and she is always telling me horror stories about trying to undo what people have done to their hair....wear a hat people.

Search google for images of women with gray hair - it can be beautiful :) - absolutely beautiful. Maybe this will help women rethink their idea of beauty and ageing.

Hi there,:)

I am a retired hair stylist. I thought I would weigh in on this. I would say regarding coloring your hair in desperation I would caution you not to. If you have roots that are driving you crazy because you need your stylist to retouch up your hair color. I would suggest using a matte eye shadow (with out metalic or sparkles) Or another option is eyebrow powder. Now this is temporary as this is only powder and will not be permanent but it does offer some measure of blending and cover. Generally match a color close or at least in the ball park brunettes look for medium or dark brown matte eye shadow or brow powder for an applicator use eye shadow applicator or old clean tooth brush. Oh, and blondes or that color spectrum a taupe or light brown matte eye shadow or brow powder will help. Once again this is not meant as a 100% coverage as pro color this is just a temporary solution until you can get into stylist again, lets pray that happens soon for everyone. Hang in there and be well! ;)

Nora

I have a friend who is a hairdresser. She has had several clients reach out about what to do about their roots. She has made them up a kit for them to do themselves. She then leaves it out for them to pick up.
If You are close with your stylist, maybe this is something they would do for you??
It can’t hurt to ask!

Have used this for years for "in-between" coloring by my stylist. Very easy to use and if you just want to do what is visible, (as I do) I just do my part, temples and hair line around forehead. Actually one of these boxes can be used for 2 colorings when you just to those sections.

I've had great results with Hairprint. You have to be careful though to cover previously processed hair with shea butter. It can be a bit tricky on your own but it really gives beautiful shiny healthy results.

As someone who has always colored her own roots, I say go for it. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube and honestly it is not difficult at all. In 25 years of doing it myself, I have never messed it up. And saved a ton of money.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.