Gym Flooring

Kellie

We are in the process of "finishing" our basement. My little workout area has been concrete. Now my husband asked me if I would like carpeting or gym mats over there. I've only worked out on concrete. I could see having gym mats by his bigger weights but what do I want???? What do you guys work out on?

I'm thinking I want just a little Pergo/laminate flooring area. I'm not sure if I'd like working out on carpet. I think I would trip...

Thanks!

This is what I use:

Cushion Tile

You can install this over carpets, run electrical wires under it, or use it straight on concrete. I use heavy weights on it, have dropped my kettlebells, loaded barbells and dumbells down and they are protected. I do all my HIIT on it also. I would definitely get the edges to complete the floor and they have very good customer service.

How do these compare to puzzle mats? I like my puzzle mats but I am always replacing them as they start to separate in heavily used areas. I'd really like something to put over my carpet that doesn't separate.

This is what I use:

Cushion Tile

You can install this over carpets, run electrical wires under it, or use it straight on concrete. I use heavy weights on it, have dropped my kettlebells, loaded barbells and dumbells down and they are protected. I do all my HIIT on it also. I would definitely get the edges to complete the floor and they have very good customer service.

We just put gym flooring down in our basement in our workout space. It's the same type you'd see on the main weight room floor in a gym. I haven't worked out on it yet, but will tomorrow, so I'll let you know how I like it. Definitely love the look and I think it will be good because we won't have to worry about nicking the floor with our weights anymore when we're putting them down.

I also have the cushion tile. I have a 10 X 10 area. Since I put it down, I have had NO problems with my knees getting sore. I used to feel it in my knees when I would do a lot of cardio, but not at all since I put these down. I love them! The only drawback is that the gliders from Cathe's new series do not work on my cushion tile. But I have a nice 10 X 8 rug I use for that.

Kimberly

I have cushion tile installed in my workout room too. Cathe's sliding discs work better on them without the covers.

How do these compare to puzzle mats? I like my puzzle mats but I am always replacing them as they start to separate in heavily used areas. I'd really like something to put over my carpet that doesn't separate.

I haven't ever had puzzle mats, but my cushion tile have seen heavy use for several years now. Easy to clean, and they do not separate. They will go over your carpet, no problem, I have them over berber and it works great. But again, do spend extra and get the edges, it makes a difference. The only drawback is if you want to slide on them, because they have these little nubs which I want on my workout floor because of stability while lifting, especially for lunges.

This is great to hear. Sounds like there is no problem doing cardio/step etc. on the cushion tiles.

FitChick25 - How did it go for you?

I like Kimberly's idea of having a rug handy for the gliders.

Thanks for the feedback for I was set against installing this type of floor on "my side" of the gym. Now I think I will like it.

Kellie

Hi Kellie,

I just did Turbo Barre on the flooring and it was awesome! I am looking forward to trying a step workout on it since it's a no-slip surface. The sliding discs don't work on it (which I knew) but I have an area rug to put down over the flooring for workouts that require those. I think you would really like it for your space!

Try Gym Source

I got the Sport/Play tiles from them about a month ago...cost $300 with shipping to cover 8x10 area...I LOVE them!! I started having trouble with my knees and the plyo workouts so I had to get something that would absorb shock....can't say enough. Super easy to install....they just click together. They don't move around.

Only draw back is that the slidding disks don't work on them so I just pull out a rug piece.

you can find them online. Fitness Exercise and Training Equipment | Gym Source

Elena

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.