GWTW--are we all set?

LauraMax

Cathlete
I have a confession--I started this past w/e. I finally finished my other book & didn't want to start something else. :) I'm about 50 pages in, & it didn't take me long to remember why I love this book so much.

The downside is, it's so big it won't fit onto my book rack for the cardio machines. :( Even in paperback. Even by the time I'm halfway through. I guess I'll have to pick up a few magazines. :cool:

Should we start some kind of check in or social group, or just leave it in OD?

I started early, too. I'm all the way to page 175, but still almost 900 pages to go! I've never read it before and now I'm wondering why not. LOL

I'd say definitely yes to some kind of check in, but no suggestions as to what would work best, as I haven't used anything but the main forums.

I ended up starting too, for the same reason Laura. Did not want to get into another book. My reading time is too limited. I'm still at the BBQ, so I have not read too far. I forgot about all the detail. The movie runs in my mind while I read it.

Check-in would be sort of fun...all kinds of GWTW can be talked about!:eek:

I know, that's one of the reasons I thought we should watch the movie before we read the book instead of after. We've all seen it & we just can't help comparing the two. And picturing Vivien Leigh & Clarke Gable. ;)

i was born and raised in the south, and i have never read the book nor seen the movie (and i will be 40 in a few weeks!).....i guess that is a disgrace.....i read way too slow to keep up with y'all on a check in, but i think you have inspired me to read this book. if it is a 900 page book, that could take years for me to read. :eek:

<gasp> A southern belle who's never read GWTW? OMG! What would your mother say? :D

Gayla, we're going pretty slowly, about 50 pages a week. Please join us!

Mine has a preface by Pat Conroy (it was funny b/c as I read it I thought, who else could this be but Pat Conroy? And yep, there was his name at the end). He says the book was pretty much the south's justification of the war & slavery. He also said that the south couldn't start its healing process until Mitchell wrote her book. It's interesting for a Yankee like me b/c it's hard to conceptualize what people in that region went through (he pointed out that southern women were the only US women to actually witness combat, which isn't entirely true but it's probably the largest regional female population to see it) & its effects on its population.

laura, after reading your last post, i am definitely going to read gwtw. there are alot of things about the history of the south that i do not know or understand. i have one of those ebook readers, and saw that gwtw is offered so i am going to go home tonight and buy it and load it up to start reading.

thanks for the inspiration. i will try and keep up with y'all!

I just saw GWTW for the first time 2 days ago and would also love to read the book with you gals. I'm trying to finish another book right now, but I'll hurry and try to catch up with you. When is the "official start"?

This is good timing for me, I'll be in the states next week and can get an English copy. I'm sure that "Lo Que El Viento Se Llevo" loses something in the translation :)

I just saw GWTW for the first time 2 days ago and would also love to read the book with you gals. I'm trying to finish another book right now, but I'll hurry and try to catch up with you. When is the "official start"?

This is good timing for me, I'll be in the states next week and can get an English copy. I'm sure that "Lo Que El Viento Se Llevo" loses something in the translation :)

Hannah! That is so funny! I hate translations--I always wish I was better at learning languages b/c they def. lose something in translation.

The official start is Friday.

Laura....I've seen the movie so many times, that I don't think I need to see it before I read! I'm just laughing at myself. I love that a lot of the dialogue is actually used in the movie (at least the first part during the BBQ) I just finished the library scene and I think that the movie made it much "brighter" than described by Scarlett. From her "hatred" of books, they are soo boring you know, I imagined the library as darker. But if I remember correctly there was a lot of white in the movie.

Okay, I think I'm getting ahead of myself with the posting! lol At least I'm managing a few pages every morning while I'm struggling to wake up. Now, if I could only workout in the morning!:eek:

Laura....I've seen the movie so many times, that I don't think I need to see it before I read! I'm just laughing at myself. I love that a lot of the dialogue is actually used in the movie (at least the first part during the BBQ) I just finished the library scene and I think that the movie made it much "brighter" than described by Scarlett. From her "hatred" of books, they are soo boring you know, I imagined the library as darker. But if I remember correctly there was a lot of white in the movie.

Okay, I think I'm getting ahead of myself with the posting! lol At least I'm managing a few pages every morning while I'm struggling to wake up. Now, if I could only workout in the morning!:eek:

Me too, I watch it at least once a year, if only for the amazing cinematorgraphy. I can recite almost all the lines by heart. :p

I think the movie was incredible considering the time limitations. They included as much as they could, but there's still SO much missing. Like, 4 of Scarlett's kids are missing! LOL! Certainly Scarlett's true nature was missing--she's much more admirable & likable in the movie. And Scarlett wasn't beautiful in the book, but there's no question VL was absolutely gorgeous.

The book is without a doubt darker than the movie. I think that's intentional on both ends. The book was trying to show what happened to southern men, women & families after the war. The movie was trying to give people an escape from their problems after the depression.

Ooops, I'm getting ahead too. :eek:

I just finished my last book yesterday so I'm all set to start. I have seen the movie many times and have also visited Margaret Mitchell House and the Gone with the Wind Museum here in Atlanta. Nice places to visit if you're ever in Atlanta.

Marcy

Marcy,

I got to visit the museum in Atlanta when I was there! It was the only thing that I made sure that I saw. I did not have much time, but that was a great thing to see. :D

OMG, so that is the book you are reading..duh. I have read that one a zillion times and watched the movie even more. Ever since I was a kid I have been in love with Clark Gable, used to have posters of him up on my walls while every other girl was crushing on Leif Garrett! :0)

Picked up a copy this morning. I always leave everything to the last minute. I should be able to breeze through it though, when I was in eighth grade I knew the book almost by heart. My friends could open it to any page, read a line and I could pick up the story from there. :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.