Goodbye lovely fingernails

I've used HOOF MAKER for years and my nails get so long and will just not break, and I end up having to cut them. People have asked me if I have a French manicure and they are shocked when I tell them that's it's my natural nail - no polish or anything.

Oh, and I used to have the weakest, brittlest nails! They'd break on anything!

If you don't find it at Walmart, buy it online. Walmarts in markets that don't have a lot of horse farms usually don't carry it.

We'll all be whinnying like horses before we know it, won't we? :7

You have gotten some good advice Beavs. I think the Margaritas would for sure help too. Gel can be way tough to soak off! It can take 3 to 6 months for your nails to grow out completely. But keeping some type of nail hardener on them regularly will help some. I am in the business myself as I have been a licensed manicurist for 17 years. I have worn a fiberglass wrap on my own for about 20 years recently converted to something called Krystal, which is a glue product with an acrylic powder. The creator of this product said the glue base is better than the acrylic liquid (monomer liquid) as the monomer liquid is where many problems arose with an acrylic nail. When any of my clients nails get looking very weak, I always tell them to let me soak off their nails and give them a break from wearing them...:)

Thank you all!! I think I will try out the hoofmaker for kicks and grins. I wonder if the Tractor Supply Company has it. LOL! And yes Catherine, it will make me annoying like a horse! HA!

Hi,

This has been an interesting read. I'm going to try the hoofmaker stuff myself. I was also going to suggest pregnancy vitamins? I think you can buy some of those over the counter. They are really good for making your hair, skin and nails very nice. I also notice that stimulating the nail bed helps them to grow faster. The line of work that I do requires that I type constantly. I have found that I can trim my nails down to very short, and they grow out in a matter of weeks. I have also tried pressing my fingernails into a bar of soap. I noticed a woman's fingernails in a department once and her nails were just gorgeous! she said that's what she did...pressed her nails into a bar of soap daily. I believe the reason this helped is for the same reason that typing helps my nails.

I do have a growth limit in my tolerance scale though. Once they get so long that they seem to go between the keys of the typewriter I HAVE to cut them...they drive me nuts.

I've never had artificial nails, but when I was younger, I had a problem with biting mine alot and got an infection once in my nail beds that made my ENTIRE nail fall off of my right thumb and right pinky. It was awful! I thought long nails were so pretty and I just couldn't seem to stop biting them so I know how frustrating nail problems can be when you just want pretty hands and nails. Looks like you'll just have to wait it out, but it will be worth it in the end.

Good LUCK!:)

I second Jody with OPI's Nail Envy.

This is the first coat I put on everytime I do my nails. And as a side note, I do them every other day. (It's my "me time", and I get tired of my color quickly).

I love this stuff and can't rave enough about it. I did acrylics for YEARS until I finally realized how gross they were.

My nails today are also my pride and joy, and I wouldn't go without this stuff. Even with the pure aceton I use to get rid of my polish, Nail Envy keeps my nails in awesome condition!

(No, I don't work for OPI... :) )

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.