Glucosomine

annie2867

Cathlete
I have started taking this for my knees, just wondering if anyone else has had success with this vitamin. The guy at the health store said it should take about 3 weeks.

Hi, I take a Glucosamine-Chondroitin supplement and it has helped my knees tremendously. I've been taking it now for about 3 months and I believe I noticed improvement in my knee function in about the first 3 weeks.
Donna

I think glucosamine is wonderful. I started taking 1500 mg. per day in February of 2001, after I heard about a study on the Today show that showed its effectiveness in dealing with osteoarthritis. People who took nothing lost cartilage, while people who took the glucosamine either did not lose anymore cartilage or actually gained some. I have terrible knees and just about gave up doing anything with impact or doing any strength training for the lower body that involved lunges. Now, after taking glucosamine for almost a year, I am jumping and doing all the impact on Cathe's videos with almost no modifications, doing SH legs with a 45 pound barbell, MIS lower body with a 35 lb. barbell, and PS Legs with 40 lbs. I really cannot recommend glucosamine too highly. Just make sure you take 1500 mg. I had to wait more than 3 wks. before I really noticed a difference, but my knees were really bad.

My DH has been taking Glucosomine for quite a few months and has seen a great improvement in his knee joints. He said he began to see a difference after 4 weeks. Hope you feel better!

Just chiming in to say both my knees are bad and I started on Glucosamine after reading praises about it on this website. It has certainly helped a lot. I noticed an improvement in just a few days (and I was skeptical) but it usually takes longer. They still act up from time to time, especially if I do too much step. Which gets me sooooo mad, because by the third sections of power max and step works, my knees have had it, even though my heart hasnt!!!!UGH!

RE: How much?

The dosage recommended in the study (see my contribution above)was 1500 mg. of glucosamine sulfate. I take 1000 (2 capsules) in the morning, and one at night. I tried to take one at each meal, but I kept forgetting at lunch--too distracted by other things.

RE: How much?

Just wanted to remind everyone of the value of icing joints. It really helps to ice them after your workout, for 10 minutes or so if they are really getting sore.

Hi-Any reccomendations for brands og Glucosomine? I am going to start running and thought I would get a head start by taking it while running (I am 45 and a new runner and have been warned about my knees)

Thanks Everyone!

I buy the GNC from Drugstore.com. They have a pretty good deal--3 for the price of 2--and a lot of capsules (I think I buy 60 per bottle). Look for what is on sale, because it can get pretty expensive.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.