Gin Miller in Cooking Light

V

Viv

Well, the powers that be have done it again. They took an awesome and extraordinary woman---Gin Miller---portrayed her in a couple of issues of Cooking LIght (see the Great Moves series), then fetched one of those skinny, probably unfit models and completely onscured Gin with her in the last issue. The implication? Gin's body is too real, too athletic to represent fitness-minded women.

Furious, I wrote to Gin at GinMiller.com and got the following response from Mary, preumably a PR rep.

Just from my personal perspective...I hear you loud and clear!
I have been on a lot of shoots and the magazine eds always pick the
models....
it has been somewhat amusing to watch these thin but not necessarily fit
models struggle with some of the stuff Gin does with ease.
Same thing on the Aerostep vid with the Barbie chicks.... Gin just shows up
and who knows who has been selected for her cast!
While I agree with your position, it's so hard to convince the decision
makers in these situations...!
Your comments are so very much appreciated.
Mary G... a "real" woman too!

Next, I wrote to CookingLight.com, and got the following response from Lisa Delaney, an editor.
Hi, Viv--
I'm Lisa Delaney, CookingLight.com editor and also CL's Healthy Living editor. I'm so glad you like Gin so much--we do too. Your comments affirm our instincts that Gin is a woman our readers can relate to. We haven't abandoned Gin at all; we decided that in a couple of the Good Moves 2000 segments, we would introduce a second model working with Gin as coach to add some variety to our layouts. Gin will continue to be a prominent figure in the magazine--don't worry! Thanks for your feedback! Lisa Delaney
Subject : Where's Gin????? Author : Viv Date : 5/23/00 9:06:10 AM

I'm not buying the coach theme.

Well, if you're so inclined-- my fit, video-buying friends, stop by CookingLight.com, check out the Bulletin Board, and post your support for Gin in the Where's Gin Miller? thread. Just maybe, it'll help.

update

LOL---Cooking Light keeps deleting my query regarding Gin's usurpment (is that a word?) by the skinny chick. Guess it's a sensitive subject, huh?

Regardless, the issue of "body acceptance" for real, strong, fit women will never advance unless we're vocal about it.

doh!

They've been deleting your question? Was that the comment you made in response to that Delaney woman? I just scanned the responses I hadn't read yet, but didn't think to look to see if they had deleted anything.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.