Getting fined for being overweight.. what do you think of this?

tips toes in and sees this is a political debate in the making... quickly backs out of thread ... never to be seen again. :eek:

didn't realize it'd be hot topic? figured most would agree on the opinions on it. I thought it was rather shocking and thought others would too.. hmmm. sorry.

didn't realize it'd be hot topic? figured most would agree on the opinions on it. I thought it was rather shocking and thought others would too.. hmmm. sorry.

Jess - I can't see the video so don't know what the issue is. What was the gist of the video?

Carrie

The video was in Japan. The workers were getting measured at work and if they were too big they'd get fined I guess. I assumed no one here would want to be measured at work and then fined! lol! I'd probably fail that now as I have some baby fat to loose. But it was kinda neat that in the clip they had some relaxing music and they had a break at work to stretch etc. might be nice in a busy workday to relax a bit. I'd think its probably the individual business they work for doing that? not Japan as a whole. I think itd maybe be cool if jobs ENCOURAGED fitness/health but not enforce it. Someone on here (sorry don't know who) said they got bonus money to spend on workouts if they don't use sick leave? that'd be an idea. my MILs job gives free passes to golds gym to employees. but again I'm just saying I wasn't supporting this idea! I assumed everyone would be like "thats screwed up!" ha.

The video was in Japan. The workers were getting measured at work and if they were too big they'd get fined I guess. I assumed no one here would want to be measured at work and then fined! lol! I'd probably fail that now as I have some baby fat to loose. But it was kinda neat that in the clip they had some relaxing music and they had a break at work to stretch etc. might be nice in a busy workday to relax a bit. I'd think its probably the individual business they work for doing that? not Japan as a whole. I think itd maybe be cool if jobs ENCOURAGED fitness/health but not enforce it. Someone on here (sorry don't know who) said they got bonus money to spend on workouts if they don't use sick leave? that'd be an idea. my MILs job gives free passes to golds gym to employees. but again I'm just saying I wasn't supporting this idea! I assumed everyone would be like "thats screwed up!" ha.

Jess,

A-ha! I do agree that getting measured at work would NOT be good. I also like the idea of encouraging fitness and health. My work is trying that a little. They are offering yoga and "muscle toning" classes. However, the times are during work! I think it is A-Jock that is able to use some type of bonus money for not using sick leave. That is a great incentive!

Carrie

Its crap. I already pay way more for health insurance. I pay more for gas (I weigh more and the gas mileage shows it.) I pay more for my clothing (yeah 3 dollars per garment adds up.) and I pay more at airlines. Poop. I think its like all of us pay for public education even if we don't all have children (I don't get an exemption for not getting preggers!)

Jess,

I think it is A-Jock that is able to use some type of bonus money for not using sick leave. That is a great incentive!

Carrie

Hi, Carrie! Actually, I am able to simply use the cash value of my accrued sick leave hours to get reimbursed for fitness equipment (including DVDs) and club dues expenses. I cannot tell you how far down my jaw dropped when I first discovered that benefit; I said, literally, "You're kidding, right?" When I was a group fitness instructor I was able to use this benefit to get reimbursed for all the special music I "had" to buy for my classes because I was doing the class while leading it as well. The employer keeps raising the ceiling amount for which one can get reimbursed per year (now it's up to $1500.00 for 2009) and I keep bumping my head against the ceiling.

A-Jock

Hi, Carrie! Actually, I am able to simply use the cash value of my accrued sick leave hours to get reimbursed for fitness equipment (including DVDs) and club dues expenses. I cannot tell you how far down my jaw dropped when I first discovered that benefit; I said, literally, "You're kidding, right?" When I was a group fitness instructor I was able to use this benefit to get reimbursed for all the special music I "had" to buy for my classes because I was doing the class while leading it as well. The employer keeps raising the ceiling amount for which one can get reimbursed per year (now it's up to $1500.00 for 2009) and I keep bumping my head against the ceiling.

A-Jock

Wow - how can I get MY company to do that? I haven't taken a sick day in almost 6 years - I get NADA, NOTHING, ZILCH....:(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.