Genes control weight

nancy324

Cathlete
There was a very interesting article in the NY Times this week regarding all of the research that has been done over the years and how conclusive it is that fighting your natural propensity to be overweight is almost like trying to fight having brown eyes. Studies with separated twins and adopted children show that weight is more strongly inherited than nearly any other condition, including mental illess, breast cancer or heart disease. Naturally overweight people who lose weight cannot stay thin, and naturally thin people cannot stay fat.

One obesity researcher says:

“Those who doubt the power of basic drives, however, might note that although one can hold one’s breath, this conscious act is soon overcome by the compulsion to breathe. The feeling of hunger is intense and, if not as potent as the drive to breathe, is probably no less powerful than the drive to drink when one is thirsty. This is the feeling the obese must resist after they have lost a significant amount of weight.”

In the end, everything seems to come back to DNA.

Wow, Nancy. This could provoke quite a bit of controversy here LOL!

There's actually a new book out by a well-respected New York Times health editor - Rethinking Thin by Gina Kolata, which says the same thing. Was the article about that book? I have to say that my body does have a certain weight it loves to be at, about 155, which puts me close to but not quite in the overweight category. I have mostly hovered around 155 starting around age 17. I haved dieted down to 145 sometimes and it always astounds me how very very difficult it feels for me to be able to maintain 145 - I maintained 145 for 3 years once and it really felt close to torture. To maintain 145, I have to eat about 1500 totally clean calories, whereas to maintain 155 I can eat about 2000 calories and have a few indulgences along the way. When I try to maintain the lower weight I really do get obsessed with food and almost always feel hungry - and I've tried all the "tricks" to get around that - high protein, high fiber, 6 small meals, etc. - but still I'm often hungry and it's a battle all day long to try to keep from eating, and I never feel satisfied. Whereas at 155, I just go on about my life, have my meals, eat healthy but whatever appeals to me. I don't think about food between meals, I feel satisfied all the time, it becomes a "non-issue".

SO, for me at least, there's a weight my body loves, and it's about the same weight both of my female cousins have (but neither my mother nor their mother had that kind of build, so we inherited some other gene I guess...), and although I could weigh less it is not worth it to me to be so deprived. I admire those very skinny calorie-restricted mice (and humans) who will live forever and never develop any diseases, but it is not worth it to me to do what I consider to be a grueling regimen of fighting the battle to stay thinner. I think probably (oh I might get flamed for this) for most overweight or obese people it may be the same thing - it is true they could lose weight but maintaining the lower weight would feel like severe deprivation to them, it would not feel comfortable the way the lower weight would be comfortable for someone who was naturally thin. JMO - I haven't read the new book yet (although it's sitting on my shelf) - it will be interesting to see what others have to say. I have heard some very thin people say that no matter what they do they cannot gain weight, and I'm always curious whether that means that if they gorged themselves on ice cream for a week, they would not gain an ounce, or if it means that they just could not bring themselves to gorge on anything, ever.

Diane, yes, the article is about the book. They found that when they asked volunteer thin people to get fat, their metabolisms sped up and some had to eat as many as 10,000 calories per day just to maintain being overweight. On the other hand, overweight people who lost weight had slower metabolisms that made it difficult for them to stay slim. So, it's the first one you mentioned: even if they gorge themselves, they don't gain as much.

One of the reasons I mention this article is because I still hear otherwise nice people making such disparaging remarks about people who are overweight. NOT because I think that people who are trying to lead healthier lifestyles should stop trying. I just think this is a prejudice people really need to get over.

Well, I guess that I'm SOL!!! I just wish that I could re-calibrate my body's 'happy' weight to be about 20 lbs lower!!!

A bit of personal experience that supports this idea: My younger brother, who happens to be adopted, is the only member of my family of origin who has not had to battle weight issues. The only time I really think about the fact that we're not biologically related is when I think about our "body differences" and how the rest of us run the gamut from overweight to truly obese, while my younger brother maintains a healthy weight without conscious effort. It's hard not to think that there might be something genetic at work.

I find it a very interesting nature vs nurture question. Certainly, there are many elements that contribute to weight, and it's not a question that can be answered easily. I've battled my weight and been up and down the scale my entire adult life, and I have often felt like my body just "wants" to be heavier. But I also know that I am not good at listening to hunger or satisfaction cues, that I don't move enough, and that I eat too often for the wrong reasons. Maybe there is a genetic element involved, and when I add my own negative, learned habits to the equation, it's an extra hurdle.

Just my quick musings on a complicated issue...thanks for sharing the research, Nancy!

Allison

This is interesting to me too, because my body loves to be a certain size and the older I get, the harder it is to move below that size. I used to be able to get below it with lots of hard work, but now I just feel stuck here.

Instead of driving myself crazy, I've just decided to accept that this is a good size for me. My husband is happy and I'll learn to be. I can pretty much eat what I want and be this size, but no matter how much I exercise and eat "clean" I just can't budge my body.

I did lose a lot of weight post partum with the "Eat to Live" diet, but once I hit my current size, the weight loss stopped.

Right now, I'll just work out because I love it, eat healthy with treats and let the pounds fall where they may.

random thoughts and thanks for posting this

Maggie

I dunno maybe I am in the minority but I don't believe this, at least in my family. I realize that not all people have the same bodies but I think everyone can be healthy and at a healthy weight unless there is something extreme. And still then, I think it might be mental. I don't think I am explaining this right but.... I still don't buy the "I am fat cuz it's in my genes" I think it is how you were raised and the lifestyle that you are used to. Even then you can find your own info. For example, I don't feed my 6 yr old junk. I am trying to give him good habits. I am not saying he never has junk food, just that I am trying to give him healthy choices. I have no scientific evidence or reseach. This is JMO.
LD

I haven't read the article yet. I just wanted to comment on what I've read about identical twins separated at birth. Of course, the sample size isn't huge. They found that weight for these twins were influenced by their environment more than their genes. However, their height was genetic.

I do believe that genetics plays a role in our wt. But it is only ONE factor. Environment and lifestyle also play a role. Look at the US's obesity rates versus that of other countries. 2/3s of our population are overweight. 2/3s!!!! That is not genetics. That is our eating and activity habits plain and simple. Our rates of Type II Diabetes have been steadily rising over the last 20 years. Can you say processed food and high fructose corn syrup. Many people just do not want to accept responsiblity for what is going on with them. I am not saying that there aren't people who are struggling that really do have a genetic tendency to be overweight. I do believe that there are a few of them out there. But look at the obesity rates in the 1950's versus today. It's what WE are doing that has changed not our genetics.

Putting on my flame retardant suit now :)

Catherine http://www.smileyhut.com/silly/arrowhead.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=14665913&uid=7769645&members=1

http://images.meez.com/user02/07/07_10005451873.gif

My gut reaction to this is that it's a cop out and is trying to make excuses for people who can't get themselves to stop eating. However, as was explained in the synopsis, it IS mental. But the mental urge by those who have weight problems to eat is much stronger than those who can stay slim.

I'm a small person, but I can put on pounds. Yet, I've never been more than 18 lbs. heavier than the low end of my target weight range. And it's just a matter of me deciding, "OK - my pants are uncomfortable. Time to lose that weight" There are larger people in my family. My sister is obese and my brother was in the last few years of his life. My mother would yo-yo a bit, but never got to the really big stage. My father, on the other hand, has always maintained a healthy weight. His father was very slim, my mother's family was all slim.

So, yeah...I think I'd buy it. It's unfortunate that some people have to struggle so hard, because we all want to be healthy, don't we?

I have a friend who used to be severely obese. Her entire family tends to stockiness and overweight, but she was very heavy. I have no doubt that some of that family's weight situation was genetic, but some of it was probably diet, because they came from a southern farm family - traditional fried foods, whole milk straight from the cow, etc.

However, several years ago my friend had gastric bypass surgery and lost a tremendous amount of weight. And she has had no problem at all keeping it off. She has to watch what she eats to some extent because of the way her stomach handles some foods now, and she has learned not to indulge - she used to be a big "comfort" eater.

So for her, at least, a big factor in keeping the weight off was retraining herself about eating habits. She doesn't even exercise.

I really don't think we can fit weight problems into one specific category, whether a person is overweight or underweight. There are just too many factors at work.

Thanks for posting this article, Nancy. It is so informative and well written. The other side of the coin, which the article also addresses, is that it is extremely difficult for "naturally thin" people to gain weight and keep it on. I sent a copy of the artile to my 24 year old son who, at 5'11 and 145 pounds, tried for a spell to put on some weight. For several weeks he ate and ate, taking in at least 5,000 calories a day. Guess what? No weight gain. (I was the same way until my 30's....) Mabye he'll have to wait another ten years before he bulks up.

Of course it's not ALL genetic. The studies show that overweight people in a controlled setting can lose weight, just as underweight people can gain. But their metabolisms AND their psyches do everything they can to bring them back to where they were before.

I'm afraid a lot of people are going to read this, throw up their hands and say, "See? I told you I couldn't help being fat!" and just give up and give in to their bad eating habits thereby giving themselves permission to get even bigger.

Everybody in my family is not necessary fat, but chubby, except me. I am the only one vegetarian, think healthy (but I eat fat whenever I feel like it, I am not an extreme at all, my body itself knows its limits) and I workout. I think it's a life style. When I was a child and a teenager, I was chubby. At the age of 20, I decided to change that. Genes matter, unless extreme cases, you can change it. You can do whatever you want if you put your mind into it. We have control over our life more than any factor or person.

"Of course it's not ALL genetic. The studies show that overweight people in a controlled setting can lose weight, just as underweight people can gain. But their metabolisms AND their psyches do everything they can to bring them back to where they were before."

nnk-
That's it exactly, according to the article.

I also agree with Catherine that obesity in America is to some extent caused by diet. If you're eating "supersized" meals and sugary soft drinks all day long, even those who are not naturally overweight will become obese.

Also, I haven't read the book yet, but the article implied that there is a weight range that is natural for us, not a particular weight. The range can include as much as a 20-lb. spread.

To those who think this solid scholarly research is a cop-out, nothing in any of the reports suggests that we shouldn't all try to be the best we can be. You may be able to lose the first 20 lbs. of fat and still be in your body's natural comfort zone. But I think the research is important for those who have been trying their whole lives to be, say, a size 4, to realize that maybe they should just accept being a size 8 and start enjoying their lives. :D

>>To those who think this solid scholarly research is a cop-out, nothing in any of the reports suggests that we shouldn't all try to be the best we can be. You may be able to lose the first 20 lbs. of fat and still be in your body's natural comfort zone. But I think the research is important for those who have been trying their whole lives to be, say, a size 4, to realize that maybe they should just accept being a size 8 and start enjoying their lives.

Excellent points!!

Catherine http://www.smileyhut.com/silly/arrowhead.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=14665913&uid=7769645&members=1

http://images.meez.com/user02/07/07_10005451873.gif

Cakebaker, I think the kind of person who would read a book like this is someone who cares deeply about their health. So many people waste their lives feeling badly about themselves because they're not perfect, instead of doing the best they can, taking care of their health, and enjoying their lives.

I know I'm in the 86% of people who come from two parents of normal weight who has inherited the ability to be normal weight. I know I have no excuses. I also know my DH is in the 14% of people who come from two parents of normal weight who cannot easily be normal weight. I do everything I can to keep fruit around the house for snacks, to encourage him to get out on his bike, etc. etc. He works hard at it too. But instead of trying to lose 50 lbs. and maintain it, maybe he'll now try to lose 30 lbs., which will be easier for him to maintain. That way, he'll be less likely to gain the weight back and therefore less likely to be disappointed in himself, and therefore less discouraged. If used correctly, I think the information in the book can be used to improve health.

I'm just editing to get a bit more specific. Our doctor told my DH he should weigh about 160 lbs. Even when he has lost weight and gone down to a size 34 pants, he hasn't weighed 160 lbs. His lowest weight has been 180, but he can't sustain it. I'm thinking that if he can go from 230 to 200 and try to maintain that, he might stop yo-yo-ing so much and be healthier overall. And maybe we should just be happy with that.

>I do believe that genetics plays a role in our wt. But it is
>only ONE factor. Environment and lifestyle also play a role.
>Look at the US's obesity rates versus that of other countries.
> 2/3s of our population are overweight. 2/3s!!!! That is not
>genetics. That is our eating and activity habits plain and
>simple. Our rates of Type II Diabetes have been steadily
>rising over the last 20 years. Can you say processed food and
>high fructose corn syrup. Many people just do not want to
>accept responsiblity for what is going on with them. I am not
>saying that there aren't people who are struggling that really
>do have a genetic tendency to be overweight. I do believe
>that there are a few of them out there. But look at the
>obesity rates in the 1950's versus today. It's what WE are
>doing that has changed not our genetics.
>

I totally agree with Catherine. Genetics may be a factor, yes. But it's certainly not the only one, and IMO, not the biggest one - at least not in the US where everything is loaded with sugar and fat and portion sizes are out of control. I think this article is just telling people what they want to hear - it's beyond their control, so why bother trying to eat healthy or exercise? That's a big bunch of baloney!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.