Gary Taubes, Bad Calories and Good Calories

lwseymour

Cathlete
What do you ladies think of this new book? I saw Taubes on Larry King Live on Friday night. Andrew Weil was on there also. Unfortunately it had been a long day for me and I was half asleep. Has anyone read Taubes' book and do you think he has a strong case? Anyone had success with his plan?

I haven't read his book and I am pretty sure I won't. What I have gathered from his interviews and the book reviews, is, that he says Carbohyrdrates are bad for you because they increase insulin levels, any fats, even saturated fats don't cause heart disease. And exercise won't make you lose fat.

Now, I have to say, I don't buy into the conventional low-fat diet advise that we normally get, after my own experience with low-fat diets that left me almost 100 lbs heavier than I used to be. Only after throwing the low-fat crap out the window did I start losing and continue to lose weight. Which is the ONLY point I agree with him, low-fat has caused the obesity epidemic!!

I think his notion that exercise won't make you lose fat but makes you hungry instead is not only foolish but dangerous. How many people will buy into this again - a diet plan without exercise - hallelujah!!

We all know simple carbs are not good for you, but he puts simple carbs and complex carbs all together in the bad categorie, which makes this a high-fat, high protein plan, hmmh where have I heard this before, Atkins comes to mind.

Won't be the diet plan for me! Don't need another Atkins plan! I think I stick with everything in moderation, eat as clean as possible.

Do you remember what Andrew Weil said about this plan? Now I am mad that I missed it, I really like Dr. Weil.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.