Garmin Forerunner--opinions wanted.

Hiya, Robin!! Thank you -- I saw that, but it looks like you have to be a member of the site to get that price. they charge $20 to join. :eek:

I just discovered another fun thing to do with my 205: you can set up, up to 5 different screens, with from 1 to 4 different data fields on each, and toggle through them as needed,

I'd just been using a 4-field screen with "time", "lap distance", "current speed" and "average speed" setting up to now, but today, I wanted to do an LSD (long, slow, distance) walk, and not bother to keep track of the speed , so I set up a screen with "distance","time of day" and "time". I also set up a third screen for races, with just two fields "speed" and "time". (I did occasionally toggle to the screens that showed me my speed..cuz I just can't help it, LOL!)

Cool beans!

I don't understand why people think the 205/305 is too clunky. Sure, it's not as small as a regular watch, but it's not like it's heavy. If my skinny wrists can handle it, I'd think anyone's could, LOL! (I do make a point of alternating the wrist on which I wear it, so I don't get too evident of a white wrist from being out in the sun, and since my long walk today was 7 miles, I switched wrists about 1/2-way through.) With the larger size comes a larger display, which IMO is an advantage.

ETA: I have to LOL at the review on the 405cx (at Rei) that states that it's good for belly dancing. Huh?)

Last edited:
Michele, I think you can still get the sale price if you shop as a guest. You qualify for additional discounts if you are a member. I'm pretty sure we've bought stuff from REI without a membership.

I apologize in advance if I'm wrong about this.

Michele, I think you can still get the sale price if you shop as a guest. You qualify for additional discounts if you are a member. I'm pretty sure we've bought stuff from REI without a membership.

I apologize in advance if I'm wrong about this.
No apology necessary! I shall double check, Miss Beautiflora! I've bought stuff from REI before, too, but it's been awhile.

I had the 305 for many years until the battery died, then replaced it with a 405. Love them both - no complains. Totally worth the investment if you are serious about running.

I don't understand why people think the 205/305 is too clunky. Sure, it's not as small as a regular watch, but it's not like it's heavy. If my skinny wrists can handle it, I'd think anyone's could, LOL! (I do make a point of alternating the wrist on which I wear it, so I don't get too evident of a white wrist from being out in the sun, and since my long walk today was 7 miles, I switched wrists about 1/2-way through.) With the larger size comes a larger display, which IMO is an advantage.

I think the display on the 405 is just as large as on the other models, but because there aren't any buttons on the front, it makes the overall size smaller. However, ALL Garmins are big and bulky - no question about it. You wouldn't want to wear any of them as your everyday watch. I could not wear the 405 without the replaceable fabric wristband - the standard wristband is too big and uncomfortable for me, and I'm guessing the band on the 205/305 is no different. I have seen women wear one of those wrist sweatbands and then put the Garmin on over the sweatband - I tried this and it is definitely more comfortable and a good solution if you don't get the 405cx with the fabric bands.

I also switch which wrist I wear it on to avoid obvious tan lines. Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this. ;)

Last edited:
I had the 305 for many years until the battery died, then replaced it with a 405. Love them both - no complains. Totally worth the investment if you are serious about running.

That reminds me to ask: It sounds like you can't replace the battery yourself--is that true? I hated that about the Polar, until they came out with the Wearlink transmitter. Do you have to send the Garmin in to have the battery replaced?

Thanks for the info.

That reminds me to ask: It sounds like you can't replace the battery yourself--is that true? I hated that about the Polar, until they came out with the Wearlink transmitter. Do you have to send the Garmin in to have the battery replaced?

Thanks for the info.

Correct, you have to send it back to get it replaced. That's why I upgraded to the 405 - I thought if I was going to spend $$$ I'd rather just get a new one (ok, I really wanted the newer one and totally justified the purchase this way, even though the $$$ difference between the battery replacement and new unit was substantial. :) ).

Correct, you have to send it back to get it replaced. That's why I upgraded to the 405 - I thought if I was going to spend $$$ I'd rather just get a new one (ok, I really wanted the newer one and totally justified the purchase this way, even though the $$$ difference between the battery replacement and new unit was substantial. :) ).

My kind-of Gal! I could work at "Justifications-R-Us!" Seriously though, it's really something to consider. I appreciate the information. Can you replace the battery on the 405, or do you have to send all Garmins in for battery replacement?

My 101 (which was only $100) works for a long time and the battery is replaceable! 2 AAA batteries and I am good to go. I have had the 101 for several years. While I only use it in the spring/summer, it is still going strong!

Jenn

My kind-of Gal! I could work at "Justifications-R-Us!" Seriously though, it's really something to consider. I appreciate the information. Can you replace the battery on the 405, or do you have to send all Garmins in for battery replacement?

I'm pretty sure it's the same deal with the 405, likely because it's somewhat waterproof, is my guess.

That said, my 305 lasted quite a while of really heavy use before it started showing signs of needing a new battery (3 years) - so it's not like it's a huge burden or anything. Alternatively, you can look at is as a positive - a new model every 3 years!!!! ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.