Fresh vs Frozen

Carmen829

Cathlete
Veggies that is. I only eat frozen veggies, well I cook them first before I eat them. Am I missing something because they are frozen? The sodium content does not seem high. I microwave them with very little water and no salt or butter, etc. The other day grocery shopping the cashier said something about how many bags of frozen veggies I had.

Anyway, I'd be interested in your thoughts on this... Thanks.

Carmen.

Veggies that is. I only eat frozen veggies, well I cook them first before I eat them. Am I missing something because they are frozen? The sodium content does not seem high. I microwave them with very little water and no salt or butter, etc. The other day grocery shopping the cashier said something about how many bags of frozen veggies I had.

Anyway, I'd be interested in your thoughts on this... Thanks.

Carmen.

no you are not missing anything. In fact frozen can actually be better since fresh veggies may actually lose some nutrients because from the time they are picked, trucked to the market, sit in the grocery store for who knows how long before purchase may actually be better nutrientwise.
the freezing process actually preserves the nutrients or so I've read.

From my understanding, frozen can have more vitamins than fresh, depending on where your store gets their produce from. Frozen veggies are picked, sorted, washed and frozen w/in a few hours, locking in all the vitamins. If your store gets local produced, they are picked, sorted, washed and put on the shelf w/in hours so it is about the same. If your store is shipping in produce, then they are picked, sorted, washed, sit in a warehouse, sit on a truck, and then stocked on the shelves. The sitting around causes them to lose some vitamin content.

I live in the Midwest, so fresh, local produce isn't going to happen year-round. I try to buy local in the growing season, and frozen during the off season. Fruit, I always buy fresh, even though I know its shipped in a lot of the year, but I try to buy whats in season, it tastes better. To me, fresh and frozen veggies taste fairly similar. The canned crap is well, crap. Mushy canned veggies with weird colors - yuck! No wonder I didn't like peas and asparagus growing up - it was the odd can shade of grey-green slime. ewwwww!

Nan

To me, fresh and frozen veggies taste fairly similar. The canned crap is well, crap. Mushy canned veggies with weird colors - yuck! No wonder I didn't like peas and asparagus growing up - it was the odd can shade of grey-green slime. ewwwww!

Nan

ITA I usually can't tell the differance in taste between fresh/frozen. For instance fresh or frozen corn both are delicious. But canned corn ICK!

The one I could never figure out is CANNED SPINICH. WTH?? GROSS GROSS GROSS

I prefer fresh, then frozen then canned. So I rarely buy canned. If I can't find it fresh(or if they don't look so hot "fresh") I will buy frozen. Most frozen tastes fine but I tried some frozen greenbeans and didn't like them at all. Much prefer fresh.. even canned actually. blech.

I'm glad to hear they are ok health wise cause its easy to keep some basics in stock in the freezer to add to meals (peas, corn, broccoli).

Some things are just so awesome fresh I wouldn't go frozen -zucchini, greenbeans, potatoes.

no you are not missing anything. In fact frozen can actually be better since fresh veggies may actually lose some nutrients because from the time they are picked, trucked to the market, sit in the grocery store for who knows how long before purchase may actually be better nutrientwise.
the freezing process actually preserves the nutrients or so I've read.

I always buy frozen...in the summer I'll do more fresh veggies...but honestly, I love to buy frozen when they are on sale and I love birds eye steam fresh. no water needed.

Frozen is way better than canned and just about as good as fresh...IMHO

The one I could never figure out is CANNED SPINICH. WTH?? GROSS GROSS GROSS

When I was a kid, that was the ONLY kind my mother made and the smell alone was just horrid. Fortunately, my parents were never into making us eat things we didn't like. I was actually over 40 before I got up the courage to try fresh spinch and discovered that it could actually be quite good.

When I was a kid, that was the ONLY kind my mother made and the smell alone was just horrid. Fortunately, my parents were never into making us eat things we didn't like. I was actually over 40 before I got up the courage to try fresh spinch and discovered that it could actually be quite good.

Spinach. In a can? thats scary. It never even occured to me that such a thing would happen. I don't mind the green beans. Asparagus is an acquired taste.

I like the bagged fresh baby spinach- no washing :D
I like the frozen blends of veggies-no chopping. So that plus foster farms frozen chicken tenders and touch of olive oil is a stir fry in minutes. Yummo!

Frozen is certainly better than canned.
If you have a choice between frozen organic and fresh non-organic, I'd recommend the frozen.

Most "fresh" produce has been travelling a long time and is not really that fresh. Also, frozen food has to be ripe when picked, whereas many fresh foods are not yet ripe and ripen during storage or transit.

Fresh, organic LOCAL produce is always the best nutrient wise, but frozen is pretty good as well.

Though can anyone tell me how to avoid ice forming on the frozen food? A lot of the frozen stuff even in the grocery store is already full of ice. I would think that would adversely affect the nutritional value.

Popeye's canned spinach is very good. It is actually the ONLY veggie I can get my DH ans DD to eat! But it has to be Popeye's brand. The others suck!

Flash frozen at the peak of freshness! I LIVE on frozen veggies (and, lately, berries too). I buy more fresh in the summer but always wonder just how fresh it is, since I'm buying from the grocery store. I'm HOPING I can start growing my own veggies next summer (I'm tired of expensive red bell pepper!) but still have yet to hit the farmers markets, where the veggies are all grown locally and are as fresh as you can get without growing it yourself. But I LOVE frozen veggies. They taste wonderful. The mixed veggies are so crisp and juicy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.