FREAKED OUT About Braces

And you, too, JeanneMarie! I'm never one to trust blindly. It's been a week, and I've already become my ortho's worst nightmare. Every time I come in, I bring a list of questions. At least 7 or 8. She is always nice but I can tell I'm super annoying. Anyway, she said it was normal and that it would change once she put a thicker wire in, but I wanted to make SURE!

I'll let y'all know when I stop hyperventilating about this. It's really just because I've never set foot in an orthodontist's office until a month ago. Who knew?

:) Jonezie

Jonezie, I don't think you should worry for one minute about bothering your ortho. You are paying for treatment. It is your right to ask questions... whether it's to understand the process, or just to make yourself feel better. It's perfectly fine!

I can imagine how it must feel to experience the whole process/situation for the first time. I worked for an orthodontist for years, so I knew exactly what was going on when I had my braces. Then my son came along and I went through the process with him as well. It really helps to be familiar with the whole scenario.

Again, much luck to you! :)

Nothing wrong with trusting your ortho, but I would ask. He will explain the process to you. I just don't think you should ever go blindly trusting everything a doctor/dentist does. Ask questions!! :)

No one said anything about blind trust Jeanmarie. She chose this particular orthodontist so obviously she has trust in him already otherwise why would she be a patient? I was saying to have faith in the trust she has already given this particular orthodontist that he/she knows what she is doing.

JeanneMarie and Marlene,

I totally agree with, and very much appreciate, where you both are coming from. Marlene...I am a little bit of a control freak and have a hard time trusting anyone, from airline pilots to orthodontists, when it comes to my well being. I've GOT to learn to trust.

At the same time, JeanneMarie, you made me feel so much better about asking questions. It's my nature to be curious and I'm all about the "knowledge is power" philosophy. I want to know everything I can, and be an active participant, in my own progress.

So...thanks again to both of you!

:) Jonezie

No one said anything about blind trust Jeanmarie. She chose this particular orthodontist so obviously she has trust in him already otherwise why would she be a patient? I was saying to have faith in the trust she has already given this particular orthodontist that he/she knows what she is doing.

Marllene, I was not disagreeing with anything you said. I was just trying to make Jonezie feel better. You did say to trust your ortho, and I agreed with that. What I don't agree with is not asking questions if you have them.

Sorry if I struck a nerve.

Jonezie... you're welcome. I would love to see photos of your bright new beautiful teeth when you're done with the braces! :)

Marllene, I was not disagreeing with anything you said. I was just trying to make Jonezie feel better. You did say to trust your ortho, and I agreed with that. What I don't agree with is not asking questions if you have them.

Sorry if I struck a nerve.

Jonezie... you're welcome. I would love to see photos of your bright new beautiful teeth when you're done with the braces! :)

Jeanmarie, I did not suggest that she not ask questions so there is nothing for you disagree with me about in that regard. I too was trying to help Jonezie feel better and to help her to put the orthodontist process into perspective. I now regret saying anything as false assumptions were assigned to my comments. Going forward I won't respond to anything on the board. It isn't worth the aggravation.

Last edited:
Jeanmarie, I did not suggest that she not ask questions so there is nothing for you disagree with me about in that regard. I too was trying to help Jonezie feel better and to help her to put the orthodontist process into perspective. I now regret saying anything as false assumptions were assigned to my comments. Going forward I won't respond to anything on the board. It isn't worth the aggravation.

Marlene, I didn't get an argumentative/challenging tone from JeanneMarie, but TRUST ME...you won't want to miss out on posting again. Wait until we talk about the death penalty. Or whose husband did what this week. Or whether to cut out (GULP) dairy. Or anything STS. Then we really get feisty! You'll love it...and you'll see that it's our perfect blend of annoying qualities and endearing ones that make you a-love us.

Maybe we should all go out for a cosmo. I wonder how it will mix with the gigantic pain pill I'm taking before my 1:30 ortho appointment. ;)

Jonezie

Huh?

Obviously there is more going on here than I know about. I thought we were having a regular ol' conversation about braces and orthodontists. You lost me with the attitude. False assumptions? What false assumptions?

Thanks Jonezie! :D I will definitely join you for that cosmo!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.