FRANCINE: Help my legs, please???

Stacy

Cathlete
Hi Francine, I've loved reading all of your advice on this site. It's so great of you to offer your time and knowledge so I thought who better to ask for some leg advice?! Let me tell you a little about myself. My name is Stacy, I'm early 30's and I gain weight easiest in the hip/thigh/butt area. I was an overweight child and have had cellulite since the age of 8 so I'm okay with the idea that it may never go away. My problem is that in the last 2 years I've developed a knee problem do mostly to years of high impact and in part to my knee cap that is angled weird. I have been to an orthopedist and have had an MRI. He says to avoid squats and to work back inot high impact and he also has me wearing a Chopat knee strap during my workouts. I have no cartilage, tendon or ligament damage.

I hear over and over to lift heavy, well when I lift too heavy my knee cant handle it, and if I lift light but too many days a week my knee feels it too. I cant run or powerwalk b/c I'll feel it for days. Ive also tried pilates and Lotte and it did nothing to reshape my lower half. I currently do Cathe for my leg work varying the workouts every couple of weeks and the only move I omit is front lunges and occassionally I'll skip a set or two of stationary lunges. The heaviest I had gotten up to was a 30lb barbell for PS LA and a 25# barbell for CTX LL. I currently use a 10-15# barbell for LL but dont really feel it in my legs, and only feel it in my knees when I do LL more than twice a week which I never do anyways. Impact-wise I can do IM2 once a week most weeks.

Can you help??? I also own a recumbent bike. I dont belong to a gym nor do I have access to a pool. My tape collection is all Cathe with a few others, but Cathe is my favorite!

I appreciate ANY advice you can offer.

Thanks so much,

Stacy

I am not Francine, and I'm sure she will give a thorough answer to your question, but you may want to look up the Bun and Thigh Rocker Threads.

I bought one off of ebay and when I switched to using it, my knee pain disappeared.

If you can't get one, try isolating which lower body exercise makes your knees hurt. Is it lunges, squats, plies or step ups? If one bothers your knees more than another, you can leave that one out.

advice

Hi Stacy,

Your concerns are VERY common, you are not alone! As a matter of fact, there were just a few active threads on legs and knees, here's the links to check them out if you missed them

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?...ic_id=26676&mesg_id=26676&listing_type=search

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?...ic_id=26514&mesg_id=26514&listing_type=search

As for your cellulite issue and leg concerns, sensible eating plays a huge part there along with regular exercise(aerobic & strength) ! Even though you had cellulite at a young age , your heritage isn't your destiny, but knowing what your tendencies are with regard to storing weight and building muscle can help you a lot in planning a diet and exercise regimen. You can IMPROVE on this area. Don't obsess on one bodypart, Focus on the total package! You will be amazed at how having total body symetry will help reshape your body! Once you finally do get rid of the excess body fat you will see a noticeable difference.

As for your bad knees, I'm not an expert in this area and always recommend seeing a Physical Therapist first so they can find your weak links ! This is in your best interest to do this, fitness is a lifestyle and you will want to know what exercises to do on your own when your knee is aggravated so you can continue on being active in comfort!

However, I always have suggestions for those whose knees do bother them during certain exercises. If anything feels "uncomfortable", before you stop, try varying your foot placement, or check to see that you have proper form and body alignment. (this can reduce stress and strain on the knees) If something is painful, then of course stop that exercise and choose another!

Try strengthening the muscles surrounding your knee. Quads and hamstrings are the muscles that flex and extend our knees. Leg extensions and leg curls will strengthen these muscles and take some pressure off your knees. You can use tubing,ankle weights , no weights or even a barbell to mimick the leg extension machine.
AS for the no squatting ever, I personally never get that when a dr says that (but then again I'm not a dr) It's a part of our daily life, we do squat to pee right? However, I do know that you need to strengthen all the surrounding musculature of the hips, knees, lower back and abdominals with both resistance training, aerobic activity and proper stretching. Once your weak links are getting stronger I'd try semi partial squats.Feel out your comfort zone! Then (when ready) Try Squatting with proper form and staying out of the pain zone to balance those muscles out ! Isolated exercises must be integrated into full movement patterns sooner or later to prevent a loss of inter-muscular coordination and overall decreased neuromuscular efficiency ! If you feel any pain stop immediately, go back to strengthening your muscle imbalances and more stretching exercises ! When ready this time for squatting try wall squats(if you have a stability ball that would be great).Simply place your entire back against the wall with your feet are shoulder width apart.
Gradually slide your body down the wall until your quads are parallel to the ground.
Hold this position for a second or so.
Return to the starting position by sliding up the wall.
Repeat 10 to 15 times. The goal is to be able to do one rep and hold this position for about 60 to 90 seconds. You can eventually begin to squat without using the wall for support by placing a chair or exercise bench behind you to sit down into. Believe it or not, sitting down into a chair is just like doing a squat. Just remember to lead with your derriere and point it out and down. Bend from the knees and hips, not your waist and lower back

For your cardio since your knees are achy, you should start with the exercise bike and use this for 2 months. Make sure you are in your fat burning zone! Be sure to have the seat height adjusted so that when you stand next to the seat it is at about hip level. Ride before you work your legs to adequately warm up. Flexibility is "very" important, so make sure you follow a flexibility routine too.

No matter what your knee problem is, there's almost always a way for you to stay active and get the exercise you need. Yes, You may need to modify your routine but you can still stay healthy and fit and protect your knee joint at the same time.
Our knees provide flexibility! It's no wonder high-impact, joint-stressing activities slow us down after a while. Be aware of what triggers your pain, If your knees cause you problems during a certain activity, you may want to avoid it for a while or be more careful with pivots and turns. You can still do other activities to meet your cardiovascular needs ! Start walking( and before you set out, be sure to select the right footwear. Find shoes that provide protection and stability.) Walking is a natural exercise. It's safe, simple and cost-free, and it doesn't take a lot of practice , do it as much as you can! There are other equipment out there such as cross-country skiing, elliptical, rowing machine, or a treadmill to name a few , that you may want to look into if your knees still bother you doing aerobics! Also if you have a ymca near you or somewhere else to swim, it will be a great option for you to look into!

My best advice to you is to be consistent and stay dedicated to your exercise program combined with good nutrition ! This will trim your extra layers of fat throughout your body and help you tone all over! Upping your cardio w/ intensity will keep your heart and mind strong and strength training will help build lean muscle mass creating stronger and shaplier muscles ! Exercise can't change our DNA and it can only do so much to counteract a genetic disposition to, say, cellulite or a particular leg and hip shape. But a good sweat will keep you healthier and firm up whatever you have inherited from your parents.So hang in there and Work Smart for what you want! It will pay off!

Oh for some added exercises I forgot to mention you can do step ups on a staircase to work the Front and back of your thighs.Along with other lowerbody exercises: straight-leg raises, leg extensions, leg curls, calf raises,abductions,adductions, crunches and back extensions

HTH

;-)

RE: advice

Francine, thanks so much for the wonderful information!! I never even thought of wall squats!!

You're a gem,

:) Stacy

RE: advice

Yes, the wall squats might help, good advice! The wall would help with the support of your bodyweight. Sometimes even the slightest shifts in bodyweight in a non-supported squat can aggravate knees.

Once stronger, you may want to continue with wall squats and place dumbbells or a weighted bar on the quads before transitioning to squats without the wall. Like Francine mentioned, find your own pain-free range of motion and work within it.

-Roe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.