Fractured wrist - Frustrated!

Sdstindt

Hey, everyone!
I fractured my wrist (falling off the step doing the straddle taps in IMAX 2 :() on Memorial Day. I had a splint/cast for 3 weeks and then was able to take it off and start OT. While I am getting better and able to lift weights now and am working my way back to full strength, I still cannot put any weight ON it...for example, not even able to do push ups on my knees, any plank work, burpees, etc. Does anyone know if I will ever be able to do these exercises again?? My OT says it will just take time, but it seems like I have been recovering a loooonnng time and I should be able to do SOMETHING.

A year ago July 4th I slipped and ruptured two discs in my neck. It majorly impacted my arms, especially my left arm. Like you I couldn’t bear weight, especially on my left wrist. I started with 1# weights. Now I’m contemplating asking for 25# DBs for Christmas and did 16 full body push-ups in a row the other day. I never thought I’d get there. You’ll get there too.

It probably will take more time than you want it to but if your OT thinks it will come back it probably will.

I suggest you do range of motion with both hands and wrists to keep your nerves busy and blood flow moving. Can you do super easy push-ups against a wall? That was really humbling but definitely helpful for me. Keep reminding your wrist that you expect it to work in as many gentle ways you can think of. It seems silly but works.

I feel your pain! Almost 7 weeks ago I fell backwards and landed on both wrists. I was in casts about 5 weeks and although better, I can't do any push-ups or planks. It wasn't until this week I am able to do push ups while holding dumbells (so I am at a slight angle), but on my knees (to take some weight off).

For planks, I can make a fist and put the weight on my knuckles (wasn't able to do that before). However, I can't do twisty moves while in knuckle-planks like side to side mountain climbers or alternating sit-outs. I think it is just going to take extra time than expected.

Since the wrists are so tender and used so often, I don't dare try to push myself. Good Luck to you and please keep me/us posted on your healing progress.

Thank you for your suggestions and sympathy ;)Gobias and Lannette! It sounds like I am not alone in this very slow healing process. I appreciate the modifications, and will try them, because I just realized how many of Cathe's exercises require body weight to be put on the wrist! It's great for challenging a variety of muscles, but I have just been standing there going, "Can't do that...can't do that...or that.":) I bet I can do the dumbbell option on my knees.

I will let you know how it goes! Thank you!

Thank you for your suggestions and sympathy ;)Gobias and Lannette! It sounds like I am not alone in this very slow healing process. I appreciate the modifications, and will try them, because I just realized how many of Cathe's exercises require body weight to be put on the wrist! It's great for challenging a variety of muscles, but I have just been standing there going, "Can't do that...can't do that...or that.":) I bet I can do the dumbbell option on my knees.

I will let you know how it goes! Thank you!

If you have a Fit Tower or something similar you can use it to progressively modify.

I initially did upright burpees bunny hopping my feet with the bar at the top setting. I slowly lowered the bar until I could do them off a step. Now I do them full out.

You can do more than you think you can by getting creative and while you’re creatively modifying you’re getting stronger.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.