found a puppy! what do I do?

update puppy is back home safe.

*update* shes back home safe with her owners.

She showed up on our doorstep tonight just before dark. I went down the street asking all my neighbors if they know who she belongs to. Shes pretty young. I'd feel bad leaving her out by herself? probably big enough to be away from her mother though. Who do you call? I was thinking I'd put out a couple found signs tomorrow. I gave her water and she drank a whole bowl full. Must've been thirsty. I also got some puppy food from a neighbor for her for now. I can't keep her though. Dh doesn't want more pets. figured the animal/pet people on here would have advice. I'm letting her stay on the back porch tonight with a blanket. It's warm here. I didn't take her pic but I think shes a pit bull. Shes mostly black with a few white splotches. looks alot like these guys (pic attached).

Attachments

• puppy.jpg
    puppy.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
First of all, if you have any other pets, make sure you keep them seperated. You never know if this puppy is carrying something that can make your animals sick. If your animals are up to date on immunizations they should be ok. Also, you might want to notify any local vets in the area. They may be aware of any new litters from their clients. Good Luck and thanks so much for taking it in until the, hopefully, the owners are found.

Thanks. I only have a cat, shes up to date on shots and shes inside. I'm keeping the dog outside just in case. I also don't want my house pood peed all over esp if shes sick or something. I think she'll be ok out there. Only thing that worries me.. and I don't know if I'm being overly concerned. Is that if shes a pit I wonder if its a good thing or not to find her owner. what if shes not from a good home? eek. You know what I mean. but I guess I should try. I just don't want her to end up in the wrong hands.

You may be able to contact a local 'breed rescue' in your area. For example, I know where I live there are rescues dedicated to specific breeds. Perhaps they could help you out?

Google "pit bull rescue" and your state's name, and you may come up with something.

Ok problem solved. some kids came over and claimed her. I guess they asked and my other neighbors told them we had her. They said their little sister was crying ha. So I'm glad shes safe and sound back with them.

You should keep her! (Ahem--pitties are my favorite).

Is she kenneled outside? I would not leave her leashed/loose out there.

I would try to find the owner; but it certainly could be an unwanted puppy from an "accidental" litter--I'm in the vet field, and it is all too common. As someone else said, contact vets and the humane society tomorrow. If it comes down to it, though, you may want to try to contact a pit bull specific rescue in your area, or ask around if anyone would like a puppy. Pit bulls are awesome dogs (like any other breed, they just have to be raised right) and actually make great family dogs. Unfortunately, a lot of shelters will automatically euthanize a pit bull (although I don't know about puppies), so I would be wary of dropping her off at a Humane Society.

Thanks for taking care of her! I love me some pitties.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.