form pointers and more

lisa

hello, this question is for anyone who has an opinion: when doing plie squats does it matter if you hold the bar in front of you? i find it hard to balance it on my arms and prefer to hold it behind me on my shoulders. is this considered cheating? thanks for any response.

I don't think it makes a difference

Although if I'm wrong, I hope someone will correct me.

If I'm not mistaken, in one of the tapes that has plie squats with a barbell (Tough Tape? PS SLA? MIS?) the instructor says you can either have the weight in the front or on the shoulders. In either case, your legs have to bear that weight, so do whatever is comfortable for you (if you can find any comfort whatsoever while doing plie squats!).

BMax, maybe?

I know I heard the same pointer of holding it either way that feels comfortable. I think it may have been BMax. I can hear Cathe's voice saying it ( I know, the sign of a sick mind. I hear voices! Hee hee! ) and BMax is the only one of the 3 with leg work I haven't done very recently.

Plie Squats

Hi Lisa! If you have the Power Strength tape for Legs and Abs you'll notice one of Cathe's crew members in the background with the barbell resting on the back of the neck. I do it this way because of the comfort. I just find it too cumbersome to lift and hold 40 lbs. in the front. My arms can't hold that much weight in that uncomfortable position. So it's quite all right to put the bar behind your head. Take care, Kathy

What I do

I think it's OK to rest the barbell either in front or in back.

I used to find it very uncomfortable to rest the heavy barbell across the front of my shoulders. But when I shifted the barbell to my back, I found that the exercise didn't feel as effective. That's just me -- everyone is different.

So what I do now is to KEEP THE BARBELL PAD on my bar during plie squats and rest the bar across my shoulders in front just as Cathe does in the PS series. I really like this variation. (If you try this, make sure you continue to grip the whole circumference of the barbell, not just the pad. You definitely don't want the barbell to slip out of the pad and come crashing down on the floor or your foot.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.