Forearm strength

kathydaffy

Cathlete
Hi! I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on strengthening forearms? I broke both bones in my left wrist (ow!) a few years ago and am having trouble upping the weights for my left arm because of it. Thanks to Cathe I can do curls with 20# but only with my right arm. I did have to have surgery to put a metal plate in that wrist so I'm not sure what I can do to help it gain some strength. At least I can tell when it's going to rain (yes, having metal in you can predict the weather)! :)

Ouch! I'm sorry for your injury, but glad you've gained some meteorological benefits!!

I'm not aware of a Cathe exercise specific to your need, but I'm sure an in-the-know Cathlete will chime in. In the meantime:

If you want to look at products made specifically for forearm and wrist strength, check out the following site for ideas. There's a handy chart that indicates what each piece exercise equipment actually achieves. You might be able to improvise out of what equipment you already have, and not need to buy anything new. I've not purchased any of this particular equipment, but I have bought from this company before and like their products. http://www.ironmind.com/product-inf...ealth-/grip-training-leverage-bars/index.html

I hope this is of help! :)

Oh, that sounds very painful. :(

I am a fan of isometric for the forearms
hqdefault.jpg
(doubling up the mat at your wrists)

as well as weight plate pinches. Although, I do not have plates in my wrist. I honestly would suggest that you consult with a Physical or Occupational Therapist first & see what they might suggest for your personal situation. They will also know how to address any asymmetry that might be occurring in other parts of the body due to your present muscle imbalance.

Let us know how it goes for you!

I also broke my wrist. It has been about 5 years for me now, but I would say my right wrist (the one I broke) is as strong, or maybe even stronger, than the left. I attribute it to intense therapy right after my cast came off. It was awful, and painful and hard, but I powered through it because I knew that I would not want any residual effects down the road. It sounds like your break was a while back too, so you are past the initial therapy phase.

For me, it was wrist flexion that suffered, as much as strength. Maybe you should google wrist therapy exercises (occupational therapy) and try to do those on a consistent basis. If it's your forearm that is weaker, why not try TRX suspension work? That really works on the forearm in a lot of different ways... one of the main ones is a hanging plank.

Good luck! You CAN get back to where you were. I was 55 when I broke mine and here I am at 60 with no issues in my wrist!

You have had great advises.

I suggest you tackle both healing and strengthening issues as all. strengthning your wrist goes hand in hand with
forearms --- Extensors:):).

Working with thicker barbell rather than too thin ones help strengthning those muscles.
You could try a fat grip device. It's not just for bodybuilders and it won't increase the size of your forearms!

https://breakingmuscle.com/weightlifting/product-review-fat-gripz

Working on imbalances would be a helpful action to take too.

if you want an exercise: reverse grip bicep curl on both full and quarter range of motion.
you could do those with dumbbell or barbell.

HTB

ETA

Here below is a tutorial video or reverse grip biceps curl

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.