for twin mothers and exercise Q for Sheila

J

jwbean

First, I have asked a similar question early on in my twin pregnancy of Sheila, but I am intersted in new feedback. I am 25 weeks along with twins and was told early on because of bleeding to discontinue any aerobic or strength exercises. Now I would like to resume some strength training, dr. still said no aerobics, and I'm wondering what would be appropriate exercises. Lunges, squats, ab-aductor moves, upper weights. How long could I continue training, up until delivery? What signs should I look for to stop exercising?
Secondly, I would like some product suggestions from twin mothers. I need to start registering for strollers, infant car seats... and would love feedback for some of your more preferable items. Thanks for the help!

Product suggestions for twins

Hi,

This is my first post to the forum! I have 2.5 year old B/G twins. Can't help you w/ the exercise question, because I had to stop exercising (other than swimming) at about 5 months due to excessive water retention. But I can definitely help w/ product suggestions. I love my MacLaren twin umbrella stroller--it is expensive, but worth it. We still use it to take walks with the dog and it does great on all kinds of surfaces. I would also get at least one (and possibly two) baby bjorn carriers. Great for taking walks!

Good luck and enjoy!

more Q's for bickart

I am also having a boy and a girl. I would love to ask you more questions directly, is there an e-mail I could write you at? thanks!!

more suggestions

I also can't give you exercise advice - I didn't exercise at all during my twin pregnancy.
As far as product suggestions, if you are going to breastfeed, I would say you really need one of those U-shaped pillows with a removeable cover. Those are absolutely wonderful. I used a regular Graco double stroller (not side by side) and it was fine. One thing that worked really well for me, though, was to use either a back carrier or baby sling to hold one baby in and have my arms free for the other. The baby being carried usually loved the closeness and then I was able to get around better with just one baby in the stroller, grocery cart, my arms, etc. I never had any luck with the front carriers - I couldn't manage to get the babies in and out very smoothly. Best wishes!!
Erica

I don't have any...

...advise on appropriate exercise seeing as my kids are 21 & 28, but I just wanted to congratulate you guys on being pregnant with twins, as I am a twin also!! I have a twin sister. Good Luck and keep on movin'!!

More info on twins

Hi,

You can email me at [email protected]. Also, you might want to sign onto the twins listserv (if you're not signed up already)--I don't have the address anymore, but it should be pretty easy to find. Just do a web search on "twins list". They have a pretty good FAQ page too.

You will have lots of fun w/ your b/g twins!

Twins

Hi! My twins are now 5. I had identical girls(Sarah and Samantha). I am pregnant now and I'm almost 36 weeks. Congratulations on your twin pregnancy. I was told not to exercise so I didn't and gained over 80 lbs. It took me 2 years to lose all the weight. So I can't help you on the exercise part. But I do recommend getting those horseshoe nursing pillows if you plan on nursing the twins. The horseshoe nursing pillow fit really well around my belly and I used the football position most of the time. I always fed them at the same time and kept them on the same schedule. I used a double jogger stroller. It is big but it is so much more easier to use since I love walking on the beach with it. I also had 2 automatic swings which were the most used of all. It is amazing how happy they were when I put them in those swings. They even slept in the swings at times. But most important, it was nice to put them in the swings and let them watch me exercise. Now that they are 5, we got them some little glider rockers and they love rocking in those as well. They were fussy babies and as soon as we put them in the swings, they wouuld stop fussing and be happy.

My email is [email protected]

Twin exercise question

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-00 AT 01:27AM (EST)</font></center>

Has your physician given you any recommendations regarding strength training? If you have gotten his/her blessing to resume some strength training I would advise you to start with very light weights. You have indicated in another post that you are experiencing groin pain. When you are experiencing this pain you should not do any exercise that involves any of the pelvic joints(i.e. squats, lunges, etc.) A leg extension machine and a seated hamstring machine might be good choices for you. You should train your upper body because you are going to need that strengh for picking up your twins and all their "stuff" (carseats, stroller, diaper bag for 2!). Pregnant women tend to be very tight in the chest and very weak in the upper and mid back areas. Trap, Lat and Rhomboid work is particularly important to help correct this muscle imbalance. You should also be doing some abdominal work to help support your back and to help you push those babies out! There are various posts on the forum regarding ab work during pregnancy. Don't forget to do your kegel exercises!

Good luck and listen to your body. If anything is not comfortable, back off.

Keep us informed.

Sheila Watkins

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.