for those who had membranes "stripped"

jcm

Cathlete
My midwife is most likely going to try stripping my membranes at tomorrow's appointment. Just wondering what kind of results people have had with this. Did it get labor started within a certain amount of time? This is my third and my DH lives/works five hours away right now so we're planning the best we can!

Thanks!

RE: for those who had membranes

I had mine stripped at 38 wks and 40 wks...it didn't work and I delivered a week past my due date. I had a lot of bleeding and cramping the next day with each, and contractions that kept me up at night, but they weren't regular enough to do anything. I should also mention that I was 3 cm dilated since 37 weeks and kept being told I could go at any time. It was my first though so hopefully you will have better luck since you've had 2 already:)
Bethany

i had mine stripped at my 39 week visit - i was 1cm dilated. it did not hurt, but i didn't go into labor for about 4 days (had ds 3 days early). i am doubtful it had to do with the membrane stripping at all. good luck! when are you due?

I'm due Monday. When you have two other kids in school w/ activities and a husband five hours away it makes it that much harder to not know what's going to happen!

Hi JCM,

First off, Congratulations to you!!!! Its so exiciting. First or
third time. I had my membranes stripped with both. It was painful
both times. It really was for me that I thought I wouldn't go
through that again but I did. It did work with my first and I
delivered at 39 weeks. It worked within 2 days. The last time
it didn't work. What did work was tons of walking and again
exercising. My mid wife suggested Castor Oil but I was turned
off hearing others discuss their own experiences.

Best Of Luck. I wish you could plan better especially since
you have older children.

Jennifer Claire 12/24/2005
Taylor Elizabeth 08/22/2007

I've had mine stripped with both previous pgs. It isn't painful as in knife-life but afterwards it feels like you got punched up your va-jay! I was 3-4 cm dilated and it was done 2 weeks before my due date. Both my births happened within 2-3 days afterwards. I'm not sorry I had it done - babies were cooked fully and we were more than ready to see 'em!!

PS - Hi Suzanne!

My Ob did it at 36 weeks. He said we would need to do it a few times before labor would start. He was wrong. It put me into labor 3 days later. My baby weighed less than 5 pounds, but was fortunately healthy and gained weight just fine. (That was baby number 1.) I didn't and won't be doing it again.

I think I had it done each time. The 3rd baby was delivered within 24 hours. I think it was a coincidence. I really think it's done to pacify us inpatient mommies!

~Melanie~

Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

What is it and why would you have it done, especially before your due date?

I had it done with baby #2 at 40 weeks. That night I had lots of cramping, getting progressively worse. In the middle of the night I was convinced that I'd be in "real" labor by the morning. When I woke up at 6 AM, all contractions had stopped. I didn't go into "real" labor for several more days.

I had my stripped at 39 weeks, and 41 weeks and I delivered dd by csection 5 days later. I think that babies don't come until they are ready, IMHO. I tried everything to get my dd here, nothing worked, and I was exhausted from trying so hard!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.