? for those who buy and keep books

pippa

Cathlete
I am a BIG reader and am very fortunate that I usually purchase my books. I have three large bookcases full of books and was looking at them today and realized I am less than enamored with the way they look. I think it has something to do with all the different colors and prints on the book jacket spines. I remember reading once that interior decorators tell people to discard the jackets of hardcover books. I always bristled at the thought of this as I don't like to 'mess' with my books, but now I'm starting to wonder if it might be a really good idea.

Does anyone do this? If so, what do you do with the jackets? If not, do you do something else or does it just not bother you(which I can understand, it never bothered me before)?

Thanks for any ideas!:)

I really like the way hardcover books look without the jackets. If you can't bear to completely get rid of the jackets, you could keep them in a folder or something.

Some designers suggest covering all your books so they look the same, but I don't personally like that look. If I wanted all my books to look the same, I'd just buy encyclopaedias:p

I always get rid of the jackets unless it's a first edition b/c ya just never know......;-)

When I moved I emptied my bookcase quite a bit to make it more decorative. I left a few books that were meaningful to me on each shelve & then put vases, pictures etc in corners & in between. I really love the way it turned out, instead of having a bookcase crammed w/books.

I stored the ones I wanted to keep in my basement.

Heavens no, I don't get rid of jackets or anything like that. I love my books. I even love the old paperbacks that are literally falling apart because I've read them so many times. I like the way the different covers and spines look because I can tell exactly which book is where. Okay, maybe I'm a bit obsessed here...;)

Yeah, what Shannon said.

DH and I are both book lovers, so there are books in every room...and lots of them. I occassionaly donate or give away books that I read and really didn't like, but most of them are packed in bookshelves all over the house. As nice as it looks, there's just no room for vases and stuff.

I take the jackets off of the books as I am reading them and then either one of two things happens: 1) My cats tear them up or, 2) they get accidentally thrown away. This used to bother me, but there is no point in keeping them so now I just throw them away (unless I really like the art work).

Thanks to everyone who replied!

I just re-did a shelf with no jackets and I actually thinks it looks a lot better. I may re-do all three that way.

I know lots of people that are anti-jacket...they get rid of them the minute they buy the book. I've never done anything like that, but a lot of these jackets are just so colorful and slick looking nowadays. I'm beginning to find a lot of them really obnoxious. In fact, the solid color underneath really does look quite nice.

I guess I was just feeling paranoid that I may one day 'need' the jacket and regret not having it. I guess the way to look at it is, I've never 'needed' the jackets all these years so what in the future could make me need them? :)

Oh and just so there was no confusion....I wasn't talking about getting rid of any of the books, just the jackets.:)

I take the jackets off before I read them. They get in the way. I too am a big reader and have an over-stuffed shelf in our bonus/playroom. I'm hoping to put a new shelf in our greatroom. I like the way the books look without their jackets, but if I like the cover-art (like The Thirteenth Tale's) I'll keep the jacket on. Right now, my shelf is a mish-match.

Speaking of books... Have any of you read Penny Vincenzi's work? I highly recommend if you like sagas.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.