? for people from Europe

DebD

Cathlete
We just came back from a vacation in Mexico. We were staying in a resort with alot more Europeans than Americans. I was surprised at how fit, thin & tan the Europeans were compared to the Americans. I was also surprised that most of them smoked. I was wondering if someone could enlighten me to why this is? Also, how is smoking looked at in your country (Is the cancer rate high like in the U.S.)? I just was so amazed at the differences.

Thanks,
Debbie

I live in the US but have traveled outside the country several times to Mexico and Europe. We took a cruise a few years ago on Costa Cruise lines, which is an Italian cruise line that caters to Europeans. I bet about 80% of the people on the ship smoked.

We just got back from Italy a few weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised that there were many NO SMOKING signs posted. I think other countries are finally catching on that's it's bad for your health. It appears that the US are more progressive in trying to stamp out smoking. Maybe due to all the law suits.

I will be interested in seeing the responses you get :)

DH and I have traveled to England, Scotland, Ireland, and Germany many times over the years and I have to say that the English (especially Londoners) and the Germans are thin and stylish. Americans tend to stick out like a sore thumb. I would say that on our most recent trip to England last September, I thought I detected a slight increase in obesity. My goodness, they are rife with American food chains!!

As for smoking, people everywhere smoke. You can't get away from it. I have seen some improvement over the years so I think they're just beginning to move in the right direction.

Michele

Traditionally (this is changing somewhat), Europeans walk much more than Americans do, don't snack as much (again, this is changing in some areas) and eat real food more than packaged stuff (again, changing).

Unfortunately, in some European countries (like France) it sometimes seems like "everyone" smokes (even though some cigarette packages have a warning on them that "smoking may lead to a slow and painful death." Yikes!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.