For Hemp Eaters

ZT27

Cathlete
Hi,
I bought some bagels by French Meadow with mostly hemp in it. Forgot what it's called. Is hemp supposed to smell bad? Whenever I toast it, it comes out smelling kind of fishy. The taste is pretty decent. Not my favorite taste but good enough to eat if I ignore the flavor a bit. LOL What I do LOVE, LOVE about the hemp is my energy really skyrocket. Not too many food do that to me. Also, does the hemp powder taste awful? I found some at Wild by Nature the other day but didn't buy it as I was not sure if it tastes kind of bad. Any input is appreciated.

Lisa :)

Hi Lisa,

I've been using Hemp Powder in smoothies for a couple of years now, and it definitely doesn't taste bad - kind of nutty, actually. It is the Nutiva brand, I believe. I don't use the full amount they recommend, though, only because it bothers my stomach a little bit. I've never noticed a fishy type smell, but toasting anything brings out weird flavors every now and again :).

Sara

Yes, I agree abouth those French Meadows Hemp Bagels. They do smell fishy. I try to slather on some nut butter to cover the smell. But I eat them anyways when I need a quick shot of protein. I don't know what to do about the fishy smell.
Manmohini

There are definitely differences in hemp powder. Some tastes like a combo of 'green' and dirt. My favorite (non-green, non-dirt-tasting) is Nutiva hemp powder. I wouldn't blend it with water and drink it that way: mixing it with fruits and other more flavorful ingredients will help disguise any taste you might find unpleasant.

As for hemp smelling fishy, I'd never noticed. Maybe it's an oil scent? And it may take a bit to get used to the flavor.

I've recently found some hemp 'milks,' which also vary in taste. One brand tasted unpleasant and had a thick, unpleasant texture. Another brand, Living Harvest, (that comes in vanilla, regular and chocolate) tastes really good.

Thank you! I appreciate it. I will see if they have Nutiva in my store. The taste is not BAD, just taking a bit of time getting used to. It is very filling though.

Kathryn, I bought some vanilla hemp milk the same day I bought the bagels. I really like the milk. Makes my protein shake more tolerable as I bought the worst brand ever.

Also, do any of you know what Aloe Vera juice is good for other than making you go to the bathroom?

Thanks! :)

Oh good, it was a hyperlink. I couldn't tell.

Also, my father used it along with licorice ((DGL, I think (tastes horrible)), when his ulcers were at their worst. It really helped him.

Vanessa

I am confused. Please let me know why someone would want to consume this.

Is is not derived from a cannibus plant? If that is the case, why wouldn't it smell? Cannibus smells absolutely disgusting.

I've bought these bagels and even posted about them. I don't know if I love them or hate them. There is definitely a fishy smell about them, but they're so jammed pack with nutrients and the taste isn't as bad as the smell. I even had my DH smell the bag because I was wondering if I was just imagining the fishy smell.

>I am confused. Please let me know why someone would want to
>consume this.

Hemp contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, in perfect proportion.
It is a high-quality protein that contains all 100 amino acids, and a type of protein that is very assimilable.
IMO, it's one of the best protein sources.

>Is is not derived from a cannibus plant? If that is the case,
>why wouldn't it smell? Cannibus smells absolutely
>disgusting.

It is in the cannibus family, but does not contain THC levels of marijuana. Industrial hemp (vs marijuana) can be used for its oil (for nutrition and for body-care products, and could also be used as a source of fuel), its fiber (for fabric and paper making---the declaration of independance was written on hemp paper, and at the time, farmers were obligated to grow hemp, which was considered a beneficial crop, also used for making sails) and its seeds (for a nutritious source of omega fatty acids and protein). Hemp also grows quickly, without the use of pesticides or herbicides.

As for whether Cannibus smells disgusting, that's a matter of opinion. It certainly smells better than cigarette smoke, IMO.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.