For early morning workout-ers

geojill

Cathlete
Do you ever have a hard time with energy? I used to do early morning workouts but found that many times my energy was lagging because i didn't have any fuel in my body after sleeping all night.

I am looking to get back to my early morning workouts and was hoping for some advice or tips.

Thank you!

Jill

I love to work out in the morning. I usually will have 1/2 banana and some milk to fuel me for an intense workout.

I don’t eat anything during morning workouts. I’ve enough energy to push out 2 workouts like I sometime do:D

It will take your body time to get use to morning, hang in there!!:)

Teddygirl~

Thank you guys! I'm a student and I have a family and this past semester totally threw my schedule off...I used to have a regular 5:30am workout but now I'm kind of all over the place and want to get back to my 5:30 workouts so I have more time during the day to get things done and less time to make excuses ;)

I'll try the half a banana with milk while my body is readjusting to the early morning workouts. It's a great start to the day, isn't it? Better than tea! (I'm not a coffee drinker :) )

Jill

I usually have a banana about five minutes before I start. It takes a while, but you do get used to it. Just hang in there! The morning is the best time to work out; it revs your metabolism up so that you are burning calories from the get go. Love it! :)

Missy

I work out at 6:00 a.m. but I usually get up at 5:25 so I can have a cup of coffee and get on the computer for 1/2 hour before working out. By then, I'm awake and ready to go.

I think the best time to work out is the time you can actually stick with the program. I have tried, but the a.m. is not good for me despite a protein shake. Of course I have to leave for work by 6:00 am so that means I have to work out at 4:30am. I like to work out after work, burn off the stress of the day, and get re-energized for my exciting evening home of meal preparation, house cleaning, and hopefully a bit of reading before lights out. To those who work out in the am...I envy you!

Hi Jill-

I like to run early in the morning, and I've found what works best for me was to eat 1/2 to 1 banana before the run.

I don't have any appetite first thing in the morning, but I found that I could get a banana down quick and it gave me some decent energy.

Take care, Lynn M.

On the weekends, I work out in the morning. I can go either way - have a bowl of cereal before my workout or wait until I'm finished. If I was lifting weights, I might have to eat first. But it's always cardio on Saturday and Sunday.

A lot of people say they don't have an appetite in the morning. That blows my mind. I'm always ravenous in the a.m. and can't wait for my breakfast.

Donna-
I'm the same way about breakfast. My stomach is actually what wakes me up in the morning because I'm so hungry! When I was a teenager I NEVER ate breakfast and not I can't imagine not doing it. I am completely ravenous in the morning. I don't usually work out in the morning (I've always been an evening exerciser) but when I do have the time to work out in the am I don't eat beforehand. I don't have the time-I sleep until the last second and then haul my a** over to the living room. Morning workouts just don't work for me!

Allison

I have just started w/o in the morning. Sometimes I drink some orange juice for some quick fuel and I always drink seltzer. Then I shower and eat bfast, then I'm off to work.

But as everyone here says you just start to get used to it. I like the fact that it is done and over with so I don't have to think about it later in the day when things get crazy and then I feel guilty cause I didn't do it. I like to workout its my me time.

Donna I too love bfast!! It's the most important meal of the day!!;-)
I also love lunch, dinner, brunch, snack time, when it comes to food I just love it any time of day.:9 }(

Jenn

I have no dang choice! Doing it first thing is the only way I can consistently get it done. And no time for lingering over coffee--it's a race against time before the kids get out of bed!

So, some morning's are better than others. Some days I have to choose a more no-brainer cardio, other days I'm up to more intricate stuff.

Gisela (love the 1/2 banana and milk idea!)

moring are the only insurance if you wait till after work you take a chance your too tired to workout yes you must eat soemthing or have a protien drink with your breakfast helps me:D

I also work out early in the morning. If I don't work out in the morning, it doesn't always happen. I eat a tablespoon of peanut butter on a rice cake, and drink green tea with stevia. I then get on the computer, read the news, and return e mail. By then, I am not groggy and I have the energy for my workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.