For any other Achilles Tendonitis sufferers...

Jess_jugs

Cathlete
I've been dealing w/ AT for the last 3 years or so, since my first half marathon. It will go away for a while, then seems to come back. It came back with a vengeance about a month ago (hill running!!).

Well, I finally went to Physical Therapy this week and got an AWESOME stretch for it so I thought I'd share in case any one else suffers from it!

First of all, the PT said NOT to do calf raises or anything for now that will tighten/ shorten the muscle/ tendon. It's all about lengthening and stretching the tendon.

The BEST stretch I've found is to stand on a stair like you were going to be doing calf raises (or 6" high step platform works great too ;)). Hold on to something for balance. Lower your foot like you were going to begin a calf raise, but just lower it down slowly until you really feel a stretch in the calf/ tendon. Then use your other leg to push yourself back up. (do NOT do a calf raise to push yourself back up) Do 2 sets of 10 (slowly) three to four times a day. Then, as it gets easier and you need more of a stretch, the PT said to add weights to it (ankle weights, a weighted vest, or she also said you could add weights to a backpack) to help deepen the stretch. Then, as it continues to improve, she said to continue the stretching but to do the sets faster, more like you are pushing off for running (which is what triggers my AT).

Just thought I'd share. I've only had 2 PT sessions this week but I already am feeling a TON better! She said that I should be back to running next week!! Woohoo!

Last edited:
Hi Jess,

I started having AT about 4years ago and end up having surgery. PT did not work for me at all. I took it for about 5 months. It took a year to heal after the surgery and pretty much does fine. I no longer am able to run or go up an incline. It really sucks but I am able to do any jumping around, but not running. And sadly I have been battling plantar faciatis on the other foot and I think that was from doing alittle too much step. I am supposed to have surgery for that but right now I am putting it off. Stupid huh?

I guess everyone is different in responding to PT. I am glad it is working out for you.

Are you still running? I had to get rid of the treadmill and get an illiptical. I used this with my cardio workouts and it seems to workout.

Sorry for this being so long. I can get long winded sometimes.

Sue

Hi Jess,

I started having AT about 4years ago and end up having surgery. PT did not work for me at all. I took it for about 5 months. It took a year to heal after the surgery and pretty much does fine. I no longer am able to run or go up an incline. It really sucks but I am able to do any jumping around, but not running. And sadly I have been battling plantar faciatis on the other foot and I think that was from doing alittle too much step. I am supposed to have surgery for that but right now I am putting it off. Stupid huh?

I guess everyone is different in responding to PT. I am glad it is working out for you.

Are you still running? I had to get rid of the treadmill and get an illiptical. I used this with my cardio workouts and it seems to workout.

Sorry for this being so long. I can get long winded sometimes.

Sue

Hi Sue! I'm sorry to hear about the surgery, I have also dealt w/ Plantar Fasciitis while traininig for a marathon 2 yrs ago. I also found that step was a problem for me, I haven't done it in a while. When I was doing step it's no more than 2x a week and no more than 6" step. So what did they do for the actual surgery? Detach & reattach the tendon?

I haven't been running, I'm using the ellptical, bike, and swimming for cardio for now. But I hope to get back to it next week! And I'll keep up the stretching and hopefully prevent it from returning!

Good luck if you do end up having the PF surgery! I did the frozen water bottles and super bouncy ball rubbing on the bottoms of my feet for a couple months which helped. I also stopped wearing flip flops and make sure to change my running shoes regularly.

Thanks for the tip--I'm doing pt exercises on my own to build up my right quad since I'm having knee issues. I should add this in, because my achilles tendon bugs me as well.

I seem to be falling apart as I age--I just want to be able to work out successfully as I get older. I thrive on it.

Maggie:)

This sounds similar to what the doc had me doing when I had AT. The only thing that really helped mine heal was total rest from running. :( AT is a killer.

Best of luck! I hope you can hit the roads again soon.

Thanks for the tip--I'm doing pt exercises on my own to build up my right quad since I'm having knee issues. I should add this in, because my achilles tendon bugs me as well.

I seem to be falling apart as I age--I just want to be able to work out successfully as I get older. I thrive on it.

Maggie:)

I feel the same way and I'm only 31! :eek: I've really gotten diligent about stretching and yoga, even though I find it boring I know it's good for me! Good luck w/ your PT exercises too!

This sounds similar to what the doc had me doing when I had AT. The only thing that really helped mine heal was total rest from running. :( AT is a killer.

Best of luck! I hope you can hit the roads again soon.

I remember you had dealt w/ AT before. I just want it to go away and NOT come back this time. I will keep up the stretching and elliptical for now and gradually work back in the running. How are you? All recovered from Chicago? My Doctor ran it and he said it was awesome!

I hear you. I hope it disappears for good. Running in a hilly area does pose a challenge. For me, it took a long hiatus, unfortunately.

I did start to feel the telltale twinges during the later part of my training for Chicago, but I got on that immediately with calfwork (self-massage), stretching, and ice. I even went from heels to flats at work. Lucky for me, it did not become an issue.

Chicago was absolutely amazing; thank you for asking. Recovery time was surprisingly quick. I went for my first easy run already that Tuesday. Definitely plan to return again in '09!

I hear you. I hope it disappears for good. Running in a hilly area does pose a challenge. For me, it took a long hiatus, unfortunately.

I did start to feel the telltale twinges during the later part of my training for Chicago, but I got on that immediately with calfwork (self-massage), stretching, and ice. I even went from heels to flats at work. Lucky for me, it did not become an issue.

Chicago was absolutely amazing; thank you for asking. Recovery time was surprisingly quick. I went for my first easy run already that Tuesday. Definitely plan to return again in '09!

Yeah, I think it was the hills that got me. I haven't been running many hills and while visiting my Inlaws ran hill repeats (DUH!). I didn't think too much of it til a couple days later... ouch! I don't wear heels, so no problem there! I'm all about comfy shoes after dealing w/ PF and AT!

I'm glad that you're having a good recovery, that's awesome! And you're already planning another one! :D

Ahhhh! there is is! thank you so much! Going to Copy & Paste it in an email to myself to do!!!

No more calf raises!! :eek:

~Chris

Ahhhh! there is is! thank you so much! Going to Copy & Paste it in an email to myself to do!!!

No more calf raises!! :eek:

~Chris

YW! I've been able to get back to regular running. Last week I ran 4 miles Tues, 4 miles Thurs, 6 miles Sun, 4 miles Wed, and 5 miles this morning. I make sure to do the stretching as soon as I'm done running and am staying away from hills. I have had NO pain, even while doing IMAX 2 y'day. :D

Thanks, Jess for the info.

I have been having achilles issues for a few weeks. I had added some hill running on the treadmill. Have you seen the calories tick by when you jog at 6.0 with an incline of 8.0! Well, I think it's backfired because I am now going to take a week off of Treadmill and step. Upper body for the next few days, and then we are traveling for Thanksgiving anyway, so I guess that's good timing. I'm going to do the stretching you suggested.

Thanks again,
Ben

Thanks, Jess for the info.

I have been having achilles issues for a few weeks. I had added some hill running on the treadmill. Have you seen the calories tick by when you jog at 6.0 with an incline of 8.0! Well, I think it's backfired because I am now going to take a week off of Treadmill and step. Upper body for the next few days, and then we are traveling for Thanksgiving anyway, so I guess that's good timing. I'm going to do the stretching you suggested.

Thanks again,
Ben

I find that my achilles always bothers me when I run on incline. I know it burns cals, but it's much better if I skip the hill work. It's now been a while longer and I have been back to my regular running (4-5 miles 3x a week for now) an am keeping up w/ the stretching. It's REALLY helped me, so I hope it helps you as well! Happy Thanksgiving!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.