food for thought: More magazine, Are you pushing yourself hard enough?

workingToBeFit

Cathlete
The March issue of More magazine has a very interesting article. I am sure this will spark some debate. The article is called, "Are you pushing yourself hard enough?" There are sections on resistance training, jumping movements, and aerobic workouts. What really hit me was the section on jumping movements. They say: "Old Think: Avoid high impact whenever possible... New Think: High-impact activities such as jumping... are important because they slow down bone loss." Also "impact and resistance training is especially helpful in preventing bone loss in the hips and spines of postmenopausal women." I won't quote the whole thing here - for a lot of reasons - but I really think this article is worth reading and wonder if anyone else has read it and has any comments. For myself, I tend to do high impact at least once a week, because I do believe this.

I also do high impact every week. I aim for 3-4 impact workouts counting my jogging and at least one interval step tape or a jump rope or HIIT workout. I had heard a while ago that bone jarring was good for bone density and since I had several breaks as a youngster (I sound like I'm old:p) I have always included that in my routine. I also take vitamin D, calcium citrate and get sun light.

The March issue of More magazine has a very interesting article. I am sure this will spark some debate. The article is called, "Are you pushing yourself hard enough?" There are sections on resistance training, jumping movements, and aerobic workouts. What really hit me was the section on jumping movements. They say: "Old Think: Avoid high impact whenever possible... New Think: High-impact activities such as jumping... are important because they slow down bone loss." Also "impact and resistance training is especially helpful in preventing bone loss in the hips and spines of postmenopausal women." I won't quote the whole thing here - for a lot of reasons - but I really think this article is worth reading and wonder if anyone else has read it and has any comments. For myself, I tend to do high impact at least once a week, because I do believe this.

I haven't read the article, but I totally agree with its premise as you've described it and quoted from it. High impact has gotten a really bad and unfair rap in recent years, from many who simply prefer not to do high-impact and wish to justify their preferences with scientific-sounding misinformation. I believe the research data that suggests that high impact exercise is in fact very good for you. All of my land workouts incorporate a lot of high-impact drills, including step workouts, and I never ever feel like I'm working at all when they don't.

A-Jock

i have been using a mini exercise trampoline when i don't want to really jump on the floor. i have read before its good for the bones but for me it burns a heck a lot more calories LOL. so if i save my bones in the process and have fun i am for it,even if i have to modify for safety at times.

oh to add it doesn't make it any easier on the trampoline LOL. my legs get tired just as quick.

kassia

I used to think I couldn't do high impact because of my knees. However, once I got some muscle imbalances straightened out I was able to do high impact fine, as long as I warmed up properly first. In fact, I now love higher impact work, although some of Cathe's stuff like jumping onto high steps with a bunch of risers I will never do, just because I will fall on my ass and it doesn't seem safe to me.

I can relate to the "not pushing yourself hard enough" part of this. I was content to exercise at a low level because it was so easy and pleasant to do. But then I wasn't in good enough shape to go hiking, or climb a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing. As I get older (age 52), I find I MUST push myself harder than I think I can do in order to increase my fitness or even try to maintain a decent level of fitness. When I was younger I don't remember needing to try to do anything, I was just very active all the time without even thinking about what I was doing, and stayed very fit. So with aging comes....a lot more work!!!!!!! I do some high impact every week and only back off if my knees hurt, which is not very often.
Beth

Beth, I know exactly what you mean! I am 52 also, very soon 53! In the past year I found myself getting more and more lazy about workouts - still working out but not pushing in other words - I had some injuries to deal with and used that to nearly give up on everything. I am now back to pushing again and it was amazing how fast I actually felt BETTER after starting to push harder again. I also would like to chime in with morningstar and say that I can do high impact just fine as long as I keep up with my lower body weight workouts - like Leaner Legs or similar. When I slack off on lower body weight work, that's when my knees may hurt. I also got some tips on body alignment from a local PT here and that helped me a lot, and started working out barefoot more often. When I read that More article I just knew - no, I had not been pushing hard enough, for a long time. So I've changed up a lot of things, but I feel better and I am working harder and loving that. Aquajock you are someone I always follow posts of advice - I am so glad to hear what you thought too. Ok I guess I am rambling on and on now...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.