Flying with DD

gemgirl

Cathlete
DH, DD, and I will be flying to Nova Scotia soon. I need ideas on what I could carry on the plane to keep DD (6) occupied.

That sounds like a fun trip:) Bring an Ipod with movies, songs, and games on it. puzzles, books, crayons. and fill an entire carry on with just snacks to last throughout the trip.

Does she have a Leapster or Nintendo DS? I like Colorforms, a mini Magnadoodle or Etch a Sketch, snacks, books, the iPod is a good idea with music and audio books, crayons or colored pencils w/coloring books or blank paper to draw and write on, little dolls or animal figures...

Erica

The suggestions given are exactly what I did for our two girls. To make things a little more interesting, I took them shopping for books and brand new crayons right before our trip and saved them for the big day.

Someone just posted a link to this site:

http://www.momsminivan.com/

There are lots of ideas on it. The best one that I plan to use is to fill a small water bottle with rice and a bunch of very small items (safety pin, nut, bolt, penny, bead, piece of macaroni, a Lego, etc.). Let her look through the bottle and look for the items. Give her a number of items to find. Sounds to me like a quiet but fun and time consuming activity!!!

Go to the link about air travel. Some of it is for smaller children, but there are some good ideas there!
Good luck!
Jenn

>Someone just posted a link to this site:
>
>http://www.momsminivan.com/
>
>There are lots of ideas on it. The best one that I plan to
>use is to fill a small water bottle with rice and a bunch of
>very small items (safety pin, nut, bolt, penny, bead, piece of
>macaroni, a Lego, etc.). Let her look through the bottle and
>look for the items.

As a veteran traveler with young kids, I have to suggest thinking twice before doing this on an airplane due to the potential for a mess from the rice spilling. These days, airline personnel have all they can do to make the planes relatively clean between flights without adding something like this. You've gotten really good suggestions already, I would just add WIPES for the tray tables as they are often disgusting. More snacks than you usually need, in case of delays. Nothing with chocolate in them as it melts so easily (even the little chips in granola bars!) You probably already thought of this, but spare clothes in case of spills are essential. Also, if you have one, a portable DVD player w/ headphones are great too.

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

I also recommend some new surprise games/toys, wrapped up like gifts. A quick trip to the dollar store can make that inexpensive and we all know how much kids like to unwrap presents.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.