Fluidity?

LizC7

Cathlete
Has anyone seen the Fluidity infomercials? It's around $250 so definitely an investment. I would love to hear what you guys think about it.

IMO - I think if I'd use it that I would see results. My problem is I like something a little more "energetic". I only used mine 3 or 4 times but I was actually sore from using it. Even after working out with Cathe for so long!!!:)

I've tried to sell mine ever since December - nobody even called - so I gave it away! I just never used it so I found somebody that will!!!!:7

I can't say enough about how I love my Fluidity! It is possibly the only infomercial piece of equipment that I have bought that was really worth all of the money.

I use mine almost everyday. I like the workouts that come with it(Intermediate & Advanced are the best.) I am not a huge fan of Michelle Austin, but I just look past her and focus on the actual workout.

I also do a lot of other barre type workouts and I use my Fluidity for all of those as well(Squeeze, Pure Barre, Callanetics, Bar Method, iBallet, etc.):)

Thank you so much! Great to get positive feedback. I'm almost ready to order :) Did you find that it's really good for toning? Is it challenging? I didn't realize there were so many barre workouts!

I thought for sure somebody would buy it around Christmas. I had it posted at work and our local gym...nothingx( I thought about using it for the pull-ups for STS but changed my mind and decided to make somebody smile!:) I think it brought more joy to my heart than anything!

Is it good for toning?

Yes, but I guess it depends on what you are used to. I tend to build muscle pretty easily so I like to stay away from squats,etc. because then my legs get a little too muscular for my taste. With Fluidity, I have a *leaner* looking muscle. I have doing the workouts really regularly this past month and have a noticeable difference in my seat, thighs and waist. My calves have also gotten a nice, slender curve to them(not a *hard* muscular look.)

Is it challenging?

Yes, but, again, it depends on what your used to. You are working within a very limited range of motion and the moves are very subtle. Form and focus are everything. If you don't really follow Michelle's instructions on form or really pay attention to staying in correct form and concentrating on each movement you can make these workouts really easy.

Obviously, the intermediate and advanced are tougher than the Beginner workout but the beginner still has some tough moves. There is a modifier in every workout as well as an *advanced* modifier. Michelle always says that she is intermediate. So, you can do the beginner workout and try to follow the advanced modifier if you find it too easy.

As I said I have been doing these workouts consistently for a month and there are still quite a few exercises that I can't complete the set on yet because my legs are just burning way too much:)

I don't want to neglect to mention that there is upper body work and ab work in each video. Some may find that upper body work is not that challenging. I like the Intermediate/Advanced arm work with the bands, but I don't usually lift heavy upper body weights.

I have watched the infomercials with interest until I heard one thing. She is talking about the need to work the back of the body each time you work the front of the body, which I agree with. But then she goes on to say that each time you do a push up you use your biceps and consequently need to work your triceps for balance. I don't know how her physiology works, but my biceps flex my arm and my triceps extend my arm (the action of a pushup). After I heard that she had lost so much credibility in my eyes I couldn't look at the product the same.

Just my .02.

Shayne

But then she goes on to say that each time you do
>a push up you use your biceps and consequently need to work
>your triceps for balance. I don't know how her physiology
>works, but my biceps flex my arm and my triceps extend my arm
>(the action of a pushup).

I agree with what you are saying. I always felt that push-ups worked my triceps but in Squeeze Tracy Effinger says the same thing as Michelle. You do pushups and then Tracy says, "now let'd do tricep dips because we did pushups and worked the front of the arm and now we need to work the back of the arm."

I'm paraphrasing, but this seems to be what other fitness professionals say too.

I don't have Fluidity, but I have all the other barre workouts and whenever they do upper body they always do pushups first, then tricep dips. I know even Cathe likes to exercise opposing muscle groups in some of her workouts, so this could be following the same concept.

That said, I don't do the barre upper body segments because I like to lift heavier. Besides, I do enough pushups and tricep dips in Cathe's workouts! But, nothing beats the barre for lower body toning!

I just want to say that I'm that smiling person Tina is talking about...she is without a doubt probably one of the nicest and most generous people I've ever met! :):)

Pippa,

You mentioned that Fluidity helped "lean" you out. I have the exact same issues - I bulk up (or gain muscle easily) in my legs, and Fluidity seemed like a great way to still tone, but without all the squats and weights that seem to make my legs a little bigger (just the opposite of what I need at 5'3"!). However, I can't justify spending another $250 on exercise goodies! Have you (or anyone else reading) had similiar results with other DVDs or methods (Squeeze, Callanetics, etc.)?

Thanks Jodi - great question. To add to it kind of - I actually don't bulk but really need to tone. I'm around 5 4 and thin. Would anything like the programs Jodi mentioned help with that goal? I can't really use heavy barbell weights - my lower back is really weak and I get a lot of pain if I lift heavy.

My Fluidity barre is in storage. I'd have to say it's probably my one fitness equipment regret. I liked it, actually, but had a hard time fitting it into my routine. The lower body work was more beneficial, IMO, than the u/b. But overall, it definitely would not replace weights for me. I thought I might use it as an add-on, but the barre is cumbersome to move from one room to another (which I had to do b/c of space constraints), so it just didn't happen. I later purchased Squeeze (which I love) and feel I would have been fine with just that.

[font face="heather" font color=black size=+2]~Cathy[/font]

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/runninteach/exercise/th_skj.gif

http://img16.glitterfy.com/53/glitterfy084824T933D37.gif

My husband built me a barre from a stair railing & brackets, and screwed it into a couple of studs behind our sheetrock in the workout room. I found the DVDs on E-Bay separately. Saved me a TON of money. :7 It's far enough out from the wall that I can fit seated under it, and although it's not adjustable in height, I'm the only one who uses it, so I don't mind. :)

>>I'm paraphrasing, but this seems to be what other fitness
>professionals say too.

I don't know what fitness professionals you're referring to, but the triceps are worked in push-ups (and there are even modifications that work the triceps more, like narrow push-ups). Biceps may be involved somewhat (just to counteract the movement), but push-ups don't target that area.

>I don't have Fluidity, but I have all the other barre
>workouts and whenever they do upper body they always do
>pushups first, then tricep dips. I know even Cathe likes to
>exercise opposing muscle groups in some of her workouts, so
>this could be following the same concept.

This doesn't work opposing muscle groups, but just gives more work to the triceps (it's more a 'pre-exhaust" set-up, where the triceps are worked somewhat with push-ups, then focused in on for the dips).

>>>I'm paraphrasing, but this seems to be what other fitness
>>professionals say too.
>
>I don't know what fitness professionals you're referring to,
>but the triceps are worked in push-ups (and there are even
>modifications that work the triceps more, like narrow
>push-ups). Biceps may be involved somewhat (just to
>counteract the movement), but push-ups don't target that
>area.
>

I would be referring to the one I stated, Tracy Effinger.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.