Flooring - I know this has been discussed before but......

Saker

Cathlete
....I could really use some advice. I am lucky to be having our garage converted into a gym / exercise room. We have a quote on flooring at £2,700 (I'm in the UK excuse the ££ - about $2 to the £ at the moment) for a sprung wooden floor or we could get concrete and lay the foam sports floor stuff over the top - like this http://www.softfloor.co.uk/sport.shtml. That would be a lot cheaper at about £650.

So do you think the sprung floor is worth it (also bearing in mind I have kids who will be in and out of the room and we are planning to use the room for suspending a swing etc for sensory integration therapy for our son who has autism/developmental coordination disorder, so the floor may get quite a hammering). Or should we go for the cheaper floor - or do you have any other suggestions?

Remember I'm in the UK so don't have as many flooring options as you do out there :)
Thanks in advance
Ruth

I want to know too! My new basement has a concrete floor which definitely must be replaced soon if it's gonna be my home gym. I'm thinking concrete ain't so easy on the knees when you do high impact. ;-)

But I'm definitely on a budget. So much stuff to do to this place I don't know where to begin.

If I had the ability (I'm renting at the moment), I would choose the aerobic friendly hardwood floor. I have tile that I covered with the soft puzzle mats and it works ok. I feel like it's too soft and takes away from my jumping ability, but it's a lot better than just tile. Maybe you should purchase a box or so (I believe there are 4 to a package), and try them out. If you like the feel, then go for the cheaper option.

Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn

I was worried about the softness of the tiles and also whether they would make it hard to turn - that is something that can be a problem on carpet.

Ruth

Ruth, good point about pivoting. I forgot to mention that but I do find pivoting a little dicey. I feel like I could really mess up my knees if I'm not careful so I'm always super vigilant about pivoting, which can take away from enjoying the workout IMO.

Carolyn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.