flooring help

lulu68

Cathlete
Hello,

We are converting our garage into a workout-play media room for the family. What type of flooring would be best for when I do my cardio workouts? I do them on carpet now, I really don't want to put carpet in the garage, we have 5 very active boy's who will be spending alot of time in there. Thank you!!!

Lourdes

Hi Lourdes,

If it's going to double as a floor/play area, I suggest horse stall mats. They are super cheap, and incredibly durable. "Exercise mats" are incredibly expensive (marketing), and horse stall mats are much more durable. I did the entire workout space in my 1-car garage in horse stall mats for about $250. I sometimes cover them with my older puzzle mats if I'm doing alot of turkish getups, but the horse stalls are just fine. I'm very happy with them. Check to see if you have a Tractor Supply Company store in your area, or you can order on-line.

ETA: Link to Tractor Supply Company's horse stall mats: http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine...t-rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft--2219003

Hope this helps,
fitgirl-atx

Last edited:
It's probably not a very practical idea, but I suggest a raised floor if you'll be doing a lot of jumping/aerobics in there since it's a cement floor. I used to dance many years ago, and we always had raised floors to absorb the shock. Otherwise it's your joints that take the beating. :confused: Congrats on your new exercise room!! I'm jealous!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.