Flood in Basement(workout room) OH NO!

lauramangano

Cathlete
I went to do Rythmic Step today, when I noticed that there was water coming up from my puzzle mats (they are on carpet). I discovered a leak that had to do with the air conditioning unit :mad:. I had the leak fixed, but does anyone know how much a water a carpet can "take" before it should be replaced? I'm worried about mold. Thanks, Laura

I don't know the answer to your question but I hate that your workout area got flooded. :( How awful! Good luck with the clean up.

I don't but I can tell you you need to completely air out everything until there's not a spot of dampness anywhere or mold is virtually guaranteed.

Oh...I feel your pain! We had a terrible rain storm the other day. DH and I were driving around, laughing at all the rain (b/c it was CRAZY). It wasn't so funny when we got home. We had about 6" of water in our basement! And this is where I workout out. Thankfully, my TM was o.k but in the meantime, every peice of workout equip I have is moved out.
If there was alot of water, I would tear it up. The water in our basement drained out when the rain stopped but once the guys started tearing up the floor, we were amazed at how much water was between the flooring and concret. It would have never dried out on its own. All of my flooring is gone and half of the walls.
We had professionals come in on Thurs and set up everything we need to dry the place out. Its pretty good in my basement now but we would definitly have had mold if we didn't rip everything up.

Lori

Laura - I completely flooded one of my guest rooms once (LONG story) and the carpet survived just fine. I sucked up as much water as I could with a wet vac and then pulled all the carpet up and ran a dehumidifier in the room and a bunch of fans. It all dried out and then I had to rent a carpet stretcher and put the carpet back down. When I was done, you would have never known anything happened. Which was good, because at the time I was renting a townhouse from my sister and she would have kicked my butt if she found out! I actually had to redo the stucco ceiling in the family room under that room because the water came through the ceiling and made holes. Told you it was a LONG story! ;)

Thanks for your input! I called my insurance company who said that I should get a company in there to help with the clean up - they said I will lose the padding under the carpet, but I can save the carpet itself. They also said that it was a good thing I called because if there was any mold that resulted from this, that they wouldn't have been able to cover the claim if I had not had the clean up company in there to try and fix the original problem.

Thanks for your input! I called my insurance company who said that I should get a company in there to help with the clean up - they said I will lose the padding under the carpet, but I can save the carpet itself. They also said that it was a good thing I called because if there was any mold that resulted from this, that they wouldn't have been able to cover the claim if I had not had the clean up company in there to try and fix the original problem.

Wow. I know what to do now if this ever happens to me.

oh I feel your pain...my basement flooded the DAY BEFORE the Cathe road trip in July last month. My ENTIRE basement had about 1-2 inches of water, and I had to call in a company clean it out. AND to make it worse my insurance would NOT cover it. So it cost me $1300 to have it professionally cleaned up that Friday morning and they also sprayed anti-microbial spray . It was expensive, but it gave me peace of mind to know it was taken care of.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.