Flax seeds and or Flax seed oil. How do you take it

tonyaz

I have osteopina(spelling?) and I am 42 years old,I am also haveing premenapause symptons.
Everthing I read about both issues is to take Flax seed oil or grind flax seeds. But what do you do with them. I am suppose to take 2-3 tablespoons a day of either. A teaspoon would be ok but 2-3 tablespoons????
Does anyone have any suggestion on how you take it and should I spread it out through the day or take it all at once? I know nothing about this stuff so and infomation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance Tonya

I am using whole flax seeds. I usually grind three tablespoons in a coffee grinder (I bought one just for the seeds, don't use your regular coffee grinder, it will goo up) and mix it with a cup of orange juice.

Heating flax will destroy most of the good nutrients, so it's best to eat it uncooked. If you use the oil, you can put it on salads etc. But the flax seeds have more health benefits because of the fiber and lignants.

You might want to start with just one tablespoon or less and increase over time because some people experience gas.

Just a warning, when you grind the flaxseed, you will end up with way more than 3T. I've never found a reference that says whether you should measure before or after grinding. 3T measured after grinding is ALOT of flaxseed, especially at one time. Be careful, it not only gave me gas but it gave me, shall I say, bathroom attacks. Not exactly diarrhea but not exactly NOT diarrhea. (oh and the oil tasted fishy to me and yes it was fresh and the oil has the same # of calories as all those other oils - lots)
-joy

I think the tablespoon measurement should be after grinding.

I put a big tablespoon of ground flaxseed on my cereal and fruit in the morning. Wait until after you pour the milk (soy milk, in my case), so it sticks.

Also, I sneak ground flaxseed in when I make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. My husband was surprised to learn this; he never detected it.

I don't make smoothies too often, but it would be great to add ground flaxseed to that.

Lastly, there is a way to substitute ground flaxseed for oil in some baking (muffins, etc.). However, I am at work and I don't remember the ratios.

Tonya, we use both flax meal & flax oil in our house. I have some seeds in the freezer, but it's a hassle to grind them a few times a week. Trader Joe's carries Bob's Red Mill flax meal. I'm sure lots of health food stores carry it.

The flax meal or ground seeds can go on cereal, sprinkled on soups (just before serving), salads, yogurt, in baked goods, etc.

I use the oil in salad dressings because heat destroys the omega-3 fats. One could put it in smoothies or drizzled on cereal but I just can't bring myself to drizzle fat on them.

Cooking Light has had some pretty good recipes using flax. You can search for them on their website if you know the current month's password. I usually just peak at the current newsstand issue to get the password.

And yes, the flax oil calories are the same as any other fat. The difference is that it's rich in omega-3 fats like cold water fish. I haven't detected a "fishy" smell from using flax meal or oil. Hard to imagine a seed smelling "fishy".

If adding flax to your diet is increasing your fiber, work up to the 3 tbls. It usually takes the body a bit of time to get used to increased fiber of any kind.

Debra

I make a salad dressing with flax oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard and spices or put it in a protein shake. A lot of people do it like a shot with a bit of grapefruit juice.

Colleen

there are also cereals made with it in it..I believe uncle sam cereal has it- maybe check labels ...that could help get a little in

I found a recipe that I had made a few years ago from cooking light for Banana-Date Flaxseed bread. It was great.
Lately I've preferred to make banana bread with oats and flour. Today I may try to combine recipes and bake a banana/flaxseed/oat bread. If it works, I'll post the recipe!

Judy
sport-smiley-009.gif
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.